UK Launch Permission Procedure

John Laidler

Jul 20, 2022, 2:12:53 PM7/20/22
to uk...@googlegroups.com
I last applied for permission to launch a balloon in 2021. I've just applied again for a planned launch in late August and found the system has changed considerably.  It is done directly now, with no conventional form to fill in.

This link should take you to the start of the process.

I found it straightforward to use but I'll find out soon if I've done it correctly!

John

David Akerman

Jul 20, 2022, 2:19:57 PM7/20/22
to UKHAS
Yes I've helped with one and did one myself.  Pretty straightforward.

On the last one, permission was sent a few days before latch but without notam; it said to request the notam separately using them permission code.  I don't know if this is a change of process or simply because the request was for two days not one.

Dave

Steve

Jul 20, 2022, 4:41:59 PM7/20/22
to uk...@googlegroups.com

Recently I renewed the permit on Elsworth and they made me fill out the form.  I was somewhat miffed as all it used to take was a "please renew my permit" email to Richard Blandford.

Also Richard seems to have left the organization.

    Steve

David Akerman

Jul 20, 2022, 5:15:36 PM7/20/22
to UKHAS
Yes that's annoying.  Last I heard - a few weeks ago - Richard hadn't been replaced.

Andrew Mulholland

Jul 21, 2022, 5:04:20 PM7/21/22
to UKHAS
I did ask if we could continue to use the old forms and was told no. Is a shame there is no way to duplicate a previous form etc, as just means it now takes a bit longer to fill out the paperwork for our 3 potential launch sites each time we renew, plus easy to then make a mistake...
I do think the new system though is much more user friendly than the old.

And yes, unfortunately Richard is now gone, not sure if he has yet been replaced properly or just temp.