eBay listing for "Kenbak Museum Item"

Michael Kamprath

May 5, 2022, 8:55:26 PM5/5/22
to uKenbak-1
I think the µKenbak-1 is great. I have one myself. I enjoy it fully. But I would hardly describe as a "Kenbak Museum Item" and start bidding at $200 for an used unit:

famousd...@gmail.com

May 5, 2022, 10:15:21 PM5/5/22
to uKenbak-1
Yeah we've talked about his auctions before.  Everything he lists is "museum quality".  That's part of the reason I always try to keep a µKenbak-1 on eBay at a reasonable price - so people don't have to pay his high prices.

He even says "due to age sold as-is", like it's an original or something.  And "rare find", like you can't buy them on my website any day of the week.

Tom Wilson

May 5, 2022, 10:37:51 PM5/5/22
to uKenbak-1

Yup, what Chris said. This guy is exploiting nostalgia for all it's worth. That's not to say his actual vintage gear isn't cool. He's got some unique stuff, including things I haven't seen before. But when he sells a reproduction and calls it a "museum item", that makes me just want to not bid on anything he sells, because I don't feel like I can trust him.

And trust is a huge part of EBay. Without trust, the system doesn't work.

famousd...@gmail.com

May 6, 2022, 2:31:08 PM5/6/22
to uKenbak-1
For what it's worth, there are a few of my reproductions in about a half-dozen museums around the world.  Mostly so people can have a hands-on experience without risking the genuine items.  So maybe they are "museum quality"! :)

famousd...@gmail.com

May 10, 2022, 2:08:42 PM5/10/22
to uKenbak-1
I changed my eBay title to include "Museum Item".  I also added this text to the description:

" *When I call this a "Museum Item" I guess that only applies if your museum is a roadside attraction that includes baby alligators and/or the world's largest ball of twine.  Some might call this a "rare find", but it's only rare if you don't know how to Google, as these are always available on my website."

Tom Wilson

May 10, 2022, 3:07:40 PM5/10/22
to famousd...@gmail.com, uKenbak-1

Tom Wilson

May 10, 2022, 3:13:47 PM5/10/22
to famousd...@gmail.com, uKenbak-1
Chris isn't kidding, either. This is what I get when I type "Museum Item" into EBay's search bar:

image.png

That dude seriously loves his "museum items". The first listing is Chris's, and he has a great story about the creation of the original Kenbak-1 in the listing. The rest are the "Rare Find Museum Item" guy. Seriously - he should just change his username to "Rare Find Museum Item Guy."