GitLab may be my next employer...

Jas Eckard

Aug 15, 2022, 2:58:32 PM8/15/22
to UCLUG
GitLab employees are not allowed to use Windows:
https://about.gitlab.com/handbook/security/approved_os.html

> As described in the Acceptable Use Policy, Microsoft Windows operating systems are not
> allowed. If you have a legitimate business need to use a Windows operating system, please see
> the Exception Process.

Reading other onboarding documents, it looks like most GitLab
employees have Macs, but Linux and BSDs are encouraged, if you support
yourself. Just not Windows, it's too insecure.

:^D

--Jas

dave yates

Aug 15, 2022, 3:28:15 PM8/15/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Pre-congrats Jas!

Colin Griffin

Aug 15, 2022, 3:58:51 PM8/15/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Whoa, that's awesome! That's an overall great handbook.

------------------------------
Colin Griffin / Chief Engineer

Arnold Silvernail

Aug 16, 2022, 7:41:07 AM8/16/22
to uclug
Pre-congrats as well :)

Bill Jacqmein

Aug 16, 2022, 9:54:34 AM8/16/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Congrats and awesome.

I love the position on windows.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CACq26OdNdRi-QNv76BvDKZnWkHqDkykOE8-D9OQuOR8vs1swLA%40mail.gmail.com.

Ben Francis

Aug 16, 2022, 11:04:22 AM8/16/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I knew that news was going to suck you in. :D

Fred Laxton

Aug 16, 2022, 11:29:05 AM8/16/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
That makes perfect sense. I run Windows (rarely) in a VM to keep it from doing damage, just to do screenshots and testing for clients that use Windows.

I use Github, but I’m glad Gitlab is around, in case Microsoft starts acting naughty with Github.

Fred

Thomas Darrell Lee KV4TDL

Aug 16, 2022, 3:57:50 PM8/16/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Was just thinking the other day that if I ever get to retire I'll remove
all Microsoft stuff off my machines. I love using Linux Mint!

---
Thomas Darrell Lee KV4TDL
Advanced Data Systems, Inc.
864-230-9626 | dl...@adsi-sc.com

Jas Eckard

Aug 21, 2022, 6:02:20 PM8/21/22
to UCLUG
Just to be clear, I'm not planning to leave VMware, but if I did...