HP not printing certain documents

1 view

Robert Meier

Aug 10, 2021, 10:56:36 AM8/10/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Printers,

Recently, I received automonbile insurance cards among 8 pages (e.g. binder, receipt, claim procedure, etc.) of pdf.

The first 3 and last 2 pages printed normally, but both sides of insurance cards and registration were blank except for private logos.
Copying an automobile title also produced a blank page.

Bursting the pdf into individual pages, importing into and printing from oowriter and gimp ans screen-capture had no effect.  The cards look normal on monitor but blank on paper.

pdfinfo reports no passwords, encryption, or signature.  A branch insurance agency had no trouble printing the cards on an apparently normal home printer.

The printer is an HP psc4650 all-in-one acquired 2 months ago, replacing an hp880c.

Googling finds what to do when nothing prints, but what to do when all but certain documents print, is missing or more likely buried.

Is there a feature of state forms (i.e. watermark, 2d frequency, required resolution,  ...) that requires extra steps or settings to print on some printers.

Confused?

George Law

Aug 10, 2021, 11:08:50 AM8/10/21
to UCLUG
Anything happen if you print it to pdf?
I just tried doing that out of Gmail and confirmed the printed version of the pdf comes out larger than the original

Any diff if you submit it from the command line with lp?

Robert Meier

Aug 10, 2021, 11:41:08 AM8/10/21
to 'Darrell Lee' via Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
Printing to pdf or ps, exporting to page, screen capturing to png (and then printing with lpr and ghostscript) had no effect.  (ImageMagick) convert reported "convert: not authorized".

Attempting to copy the title involved only the printer, hence my suspicion of some image (not file) feature.

Btw
Pdf images have a "bounding box" specified in pixels, and optional dpi density or cm/in/pt dimensions.  Settings determine default and override.  If your settings differ significantly from the senders, a pdf may be scaled or offset.  Expanding or shrinking an A4 vs us letter pdf is common.

yancy smith

Aug 10, 2021, 3:59:02 PM8/10/21
to uclug

Andy Carabino

Aug 11, 2021, 9:58:14 AM8/11/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Quick Google of the imagemagick convert not authorized error seemed to indicate a safe mode for IM in interpreting PS

Not knowing enough about PDF so pure conjecture but maybe some “code” is not being “executed” to display that portion of the file to the printer?

Robert Meier

Aug 11, 2021, 11:44:25 AM8/11/21
to 'Darrell Lee' via Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
Thank you all for your help.

I'm looking to learn how to print pdf to paper, with hp psc4650 printer, what I see on screen with evince.
Right now, it seems  ~1/10 random but stubbornly repeatable images will be seen as expected on the monitor, but blank on paper.

Postscript and pdf are versions of forth, a language optimized for the small memory of early printers.  So if the image differs between paper and screen, we know different code is being executed.

I'm trying to learn why the printer is sometimes executing different code, how to override, and how to predict the need to do so.

I may get an opportunity to try printing on the old 880c printer, not yet disposed of.

I learned that overriding the image resolution to 288dpi (from 72) has no effect on the monitor image beyond view scale, but it altered the paper image.  A 20-line letter that was blank, became legible but faded/graped-out.
The insurance cards became grayed panels rather than blank.

George Law

Aug 11, 2021, 11:58:02 AM8/11/21
to UCLUG
I think I remember having to tweak a filter or something like that within imagemagick, which I think gets used to print PDFs

I think I had to comment this section out in the config file ...

[glaw@fedora ImageMagick-6]$ grep PS,PDF,XPS /etc/ImageMagick-6/policy.xml
 <!-- <policy domain="module" rights="none" pattern="{PS,PDF,XPS}" />  -->

Robert Meier

Aug 11, 2021, 5:07:11 PM8/11/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Andy,

Thank you for your suggestion.

If I am correct, the following are the ImageMagick-7 policy map.

---- /etc/ImageMagick-7/policy.xml ----
<policy domain="coder" rights="write" pattern="PS" />
<policy domain="coder" rights="write" pattern="PDF" />
<policy domain="coder" rights="write" pattern="XPS" />
<policy domain="path" rights="none" pattern="@*"/>
</policymap>
---- /etc/ImageMagick-7/policy.xml ----

---- pg_0005.pdf ----