May be of interest to some

Arnold Silvernail

Jul 22, 2021, 7:36:30 AM7/22/21
to uclug

George Law

Jul 22, 2021, 8:01:32 AM7/22/21
to UCLUG
Was going to post a link to their github the other day

their build documents are done on ubuntu but their distro uses rpms :)

Jas Eckard

Jul 22, 2021, 9:39:52 AM7/22/21
to UCLUG
Yeah, it's interesting reading the README.  Looks like they went through Linux From Scratch, decided on RPM for packaging, then got SPEC files from Fedora, PhotonOS, and OpenMambo. But the good news is, since it's MIT license, I can make a binary fork and not have to contribute source back to them.  >:^}

George Law

Jul 22, 2021, 9:47:13 AM7/22/21
to UCLUG
Jas Linux - I like the sound of that :)

MIKE MAJOR

Jul 22, 2021, 2:13:18 PM7/22/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com

Robert Meier

Jul 23, 2021, 10:40:21 AM7/23/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Beware the Greeks bearing gifts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Danaos_et_dona_ferentes
Beware Microsoft releasing distros.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

In the late 80s Microsoft successfully
adopted, discredited and killed
open standard AIFF (Audio Information File Format),
and replaced it with proprietary WAV
(whose files still begin with RIFF, ?AIFF handwritten badly?)
In the late 90s Microsoft successfully,
adopted, discredited and killed
open standard SCSI (Small Computer System Interface)
and replaced it with proprietary USB.

I fear they are now targetting RPM (Redhat Package Manager)
which by default construction
supports 100% installation and non-cooperative uninstall,
a contributor to unix reliability, graceful update,
and long-term stability.

Jas Eckard

Jul 24, 2021, 12:23:35 AM7/24/21
to UCLUG
*snicker*

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but several years ago I started doing just
that. Abandoned it a while back, but may pick it up again some day:

https://gitlab.com/chruck/jasix

--Jas
.
..:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/1206861085.257528.1626977587817%40mail.yahoo.com.

Kevin Jones

Jul 24, 2021, 1:01:33 PM7/24/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I dunno, I'm kinda partial to Jasnix myself.