best way to copy hard drive?

Raymond

Jun 20, 2016, 5:07:19 PM6/20/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I have a CMD hard drive a HD-20 but I put a bigger hard drive in it. A 2.25 GB one. So it can easy fit on a 8GB SD card.

Read that the uIEC can do the same type file system as the CMD hard drive. I love to copy it just the same way.

Any program that will do that?

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 22, 2016, 7:00:46 PM6/22/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I seen this:

Did any one use to to copy there CMD HDD to a SD card on the uIEC? Does it work to do that?

I sent him a message asking about this but maybe some one in here has done it all ready.

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 23, 2016, 11:55:20 PM6/23/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
Looks like driveghost don't work to copy the HDD to the uIEC.

So I like to just make partitions and copy it to my uIEC.

I got photos of the partitions from my HDD using the @$=p command. Here is a link to the photos I did of it:

What is the command to make a NAT partition on the uIEC? The rest are 1581, 1571, and 1541 partitions. It's hard for me to remember what I did to put it all like this on my CMD hard drive. I my of used some program.

I can do a @CP60 to change to partition 60 but how do I make a new partition?

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 24, 2016, 2:08:31 AM6/24/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
Looks like there is no way to make like 60 partitions on the uIEC and have Windows still read the SD card. But it can have folders. So I just make a folder with "@md:FRIST 2.1 GIG HD" and then I load the files with "LOAD"$",19 and press Ctrl A and JiffyDOS picks all the files and then I type "@x14" that device of my uIEC then "run" and it starts to copy all the files and looks like the time it copies the same too!

Then using "cbmcmd23.d64" to copy the partitions as D64, D71, D81 so the NAT just make a folder and the drives just copy them as a image.

It would be neat if some one could make a backup program to do about the same as this is by hand.

It's I guess as close as you can get to copying the CMD hard drive to the uIEC SD card.

-Raymond Day

David Witmer

Jun 24, 2016, 2:12:12 AM6/24/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
It will take some time copying everything over on the Commodore. But if you do go that route, probably the best tool will be CBMCommand. https://cbmcommand.codeplex.com
You will be able to make D41, D71, and D81 images onto your uIEC device. Depending what's in the Native partitions there might be some workaround. I use a bank DNP image, then CD into that and use plan file copy to move files into the DNP. The utility I use for that is DirMaster for Windows. http://style64.org/dirmaster
The other option would be to create folder directories and copy the files to a directory. I've done it both ways on my uIEC.

Raymond

Jun 24, 2016, 6:23:04 AM6/24/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I am using "cbmcmd23.d64" were you gave the link CBMCommand.  https://cbmcommand.codeplex.com

The one thing I don't get on it is you have to 2 sides I can never pick the destination side. It just auto does it and I hope it has the right drive when I press X to copy to a image.

Neat that you found the same type way Davie Witmer.

It is taking a long time the NAT partitions I guess about 2 or more hours. I am just using the JiffyDOS copy command to do that. I plug in my SuperCPU just to have JiffyDOS on it. But I should get the JiffyDOS chip in the mail soon to put it in my C=64c.

-Raymond Day

Greg King

Jun 24, 2016, 6:12:54 PM6/24/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 6:23:04 AM UTC-4, Raymond wrote:
I am using "cbmcmd23.d64" where you gave the link to CBMCommand.  https://cbmcommand.codeplex.com

The one thing I don't get on it is you have 2 sides; I can never pick the destination side. It just auto-does it; and, I hope it has the right drive when I press X to copy to an image.

CBMCommand shows two panels -- one of them is active.  For all operations, the active panel is the source; and, the other panel is the target (destination).  An "arrow" (a greater-than sign) sits on the left edge of the active panel; the left/right cursor keys move between the two panels.  Tap the "d" hot-key to pick the device number of the active panel.  Tap Shift-"D" to pick the device of the other panel -- but then, the other panel becomes your active panel (you must move back to the original panel before you start a copy)!  Tap the "p" hot-key to type a partition number (for the active panel).  The two panels must point to different drives (device or partition).  The bottom line of each panel shows its "device;partition" and "blocks free".

Raymond

Jun 27, 2016, 12:33:52 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I have some GEOS USR files on it that JiffyDOS file copy will not copy right.

Any thing that can copy USR files.

Or any way to just copy the Nat partition on the CMD hard drive so that I can use it on the uIEC?

One partition I have GEOS Wheels on. It's a 128 one using the 80 column screen. A wile ago I got my 128 so I can use it again on the 80 column screen. So I booted Wheels and it loads but my old CMD smart mouse will not work any more! I have a 9 pin to PS2 converter and the mouse just moves all around on the screen. No  way to do any thing on it then. I looked on line and order another type of PS2 converter. I guess it will work. I think then can copy the GEOS files to the uIEC.

Looked to for a USB to SCSI Converter and can't find any to buy that don't cost over $100 and not sure if they would work any way to backup my CMD HDD.

-Raymond Day

David Witmer

Jun 27, 2016, 1:08:21 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
If you have a CMD NAT image on your uIEC, you can CD into that before you boot up Wheels. When Wheels boots up, it will look for a newly connected drive. From there you can copy like normal within Wheels. Make sure you activate the fakehd.bin before booting Wheels

Snogpitch

Raymond

Jun 27, 2016, 2:18:34 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I downloaded a uIEC GOES and it works good with my PS2 mouse. I just need to get it to work in Wheels. But I guess I need the driver but no way to copy the USR mouse driver there with out GEOS.

That download GEOS works real good on my uIEC.

But looks like no way I can pick my CMD hard drive. I like to go to the NAT partition I have Wheels installed on. Is there a way to do that with this GEOS on a d81 that runs on my uIEC?

-Raymond Day

David Witmer

Jun 27, 2016, 4:55:49 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
To change how Wheels looks for the mouse driver, hold down the CMDR and Left shift keys together and hold them while the title screen is displayed.

Snogpitch

Raymond

Jun 27, 2016, 5:16:09 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
Were can I download the fakehd.bin? Or were is it?

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 27, 2016, 5:23:29 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I hold down the C= key and the left Shift wile Wheels booted and I put the mouse in port 1 and it works good now!

Thank you.

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 27, 2016, 5:29:59 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
Wow Wheels thinks it's 6/27/1916 now. Is there a way to fix that?

First time I booted Wheels in years. Wow I guess before 2000 when I last did.

I forgot it will work in 128 mode on the 40 column screen. I could of booted it long ago.

-Raymond Day

Carl Reilly

Jun 27, 2016, 5:47:29 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
You can find the fakehd.bin from the sd2iec website: http://sd2iec.de/fakeroms.zip to be exact. :) cheers, c

Eric Christopherson

Jun 27, 2016, 5:49:50 PM6/27/16
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 27, 2016, David Witmer wrote:
> If you have a CMD NAT image on your uIEC, you can CD into that before you boot up Wheels. When Wheels boots up, it will look for a newly connected drive. From there you can copy like normal within Wheels. Make sure you activate the fakehd.bin before booting Wheels

I wasn't aware the uIEC supported NAT images.

For imaging, I don't know the answer, but redrumloa mentions some tools
at
<http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=733960&sid=941bcc0136dcce3ac91aa8b23e715d6c>.
Perhaps ask that person for details.

--
Eric Christopherson

Raymond

Jun 27, 2016, 6:41:24 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I put the "fakefd.bin" in the root folder on the uIEC SD card and then booted Wheels on my hard drive. I open the configuration and clicked on a (No Drive) then to add one and it says to turn the power on. I unplugged the USB power to the uIEC and back in and it still don't see it. How do I get it to see it?

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 27, 2016, 6:55:35 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
Just copied the "fakehd.bin" to the Wheels dir on my CMD hard drive and open the configuration again and for drive B clicked install drive. It says "Turn the desired drive on." I unplugged the hole uIEC the data cable and USB power and back in and Wheels still don't see it.

Do I have to do any thing with the fakehd.bin? The readme don't say much.

Just says this:

These two files contain just the minimum amount of data to be accepted
as a CMD FD or HD drive by the Wheels drive autodetection code.

So it should just auto detect it. But looks like it don't work for me.

I just want to copy the CMD HDD to my uIEC and have to use GEOS to copy it's files. The USR files. But I have to get it to see the uIEC first.

-Raymond Day

Carl Reilly

Jun 27, 2016, 7:13:51 PM6/27/16
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com

You have to read the bin into the sd2eic with an xr.  If you have jd the command to type in on a blank line would be:

@"XR:FAKEHD.BIN"

And hit return.  Then boot up wheels.

Raymond

Jun 27, 2016, 8:42:27 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I did that on both the CMD hard drive and the uIEC. The:

@"XR:FAKEHD.BIN"

It comes right back to the ready right away.

Then I boot wheels on my CMD hard drive and I still can't see the uIEC.

It's device 14 does it have to be some other device? I did do a @"u0>[control i]" to put it to device 9 but it still don't see it. I press the reset on the uIEC but then it goes back to 14. I guess have have to make the device so it keeps it. So I did a @"xw" and booted Wheels again.

Start Toolbox 128 and click on Drive C: were it says ( NO DRIVE ) Click on Install Drive. It says Turn the desired drive on. So I press the reset on the uIEC but Wheels never list any drive it stay blank. Even when I unplug the uIEC all the way and back in. Still shows no drives to add.

Can some one tell be about a step-by-step way how to add the uIEC to my Wheels that is all ready on my CMD hard drive?

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 27, 2016, 8:57:51 PM6/27/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
If I boot GEOS from a D81 on my uIEC a 2nd Disk icon shows up and I click it on. It should be the hard drive. But it comes back with:

Operation canceled due to

disk error:

1:02    Drive A track 75 sector 62 (hex)

All I can do is click OK.

It does ask saying it's not a GEOS disk but I tell it not to convert it. I did do that one time before and it got a error.

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 28, 2016, 7:47:51 AM6/28/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
David e-mailed me.

I think I got it working now!

Used a new 8GB SD card and with DirMaster on a PC with the 8GB SD card I said make new disk a DNP one.

Saved it to the 8GB SD card and drag and drop the fakehd.bin in to the new DNP partition it shows like a commodore dist in DirMaster. Then put the SD card in my uIEC and @cd to that new DNP partition.

In basic on the SD card I typed the @"XR:FAKEHD.BIN" that's in the DNP partition.

Booted Wheels 128 from my CMD hard drive. It like auto sees 2 hard drives drive A and B I open them both up and on drive A my CMD hard drive I said copy disk under the disk tab.

I am typing this as my Wheels copies to the SD card from the hard drive. Looks like it copies to the 2MB CMD 1570XL I have plug in my C=128 then from there to the SD card I see the activity LED's going on the hard drive for about 4 min. and then on the uIEC about 4 min. too and they keep switching.

Wheels is just saying "Copying; Disk/Partition *Hold STOP to abort *"

If this works got to see if I can do the same on the 64GB SD card I been copying my CMD hard drive to for the past 3 days. But got stuck trying to copy GEOS files.

I think I can get this done now.

Thank you for every ones help.

I guess there is no way to make a DNP partition right on the uIEC SD card on the C= right? I think because it's can be so be it would take a long time.

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 28, 2016, 10:10:45 AM6/28/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
It worked! After it copied in Wheels it said some error. I think error #1

But I open both windows and they looked the same. It took about 3 hours. They both say the same K free. So making that DNP the default size is the same as the default size making a CMD hard drive partition.

I put the SD card in my PC that 8GB test one and copy the DNP partition to the 64GB card and booted Wheels from it. It works and with out the hard drive.

Nice got it working.

-Raymond Day

Raymond

Jun 28, 2016, 10:12:33 AM6/28/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
O yes.

Do I have to type @xr:rakehd.bin" every time before booting Wheels now?

Or I guess can make a basic program to do that and start Wheels right?

If need to run that command after a power off and on.

-Raymond Day

Greg King

Jun 28, 2016, 10:17:49 AM6/28/16
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 7:47:51 AM UTC-4, Raymond wrote:
Used a new 8 GB SD card; and, with DirMaster on a PC with the 8 GB SD card, I said, make new disk, a DNP one.
Saved it to the 8 GB SD card; and, drag-and-dropped the "fakehd.bin" into the new DNP image; it shows like a commodore dist in DirMaster. Then, put the SD card in my uIEC; and, @cd to that new DNP image/directory.
In BASIC, on the SD card, I typed the @"XR:FAKEHD.BIN" that's in the DNP image.

"fakehd.bin" must be in the root directory of an SD card's first partition (not inside of a disk-image file).  You must set it as the sd2iec's fake-ROM file (@"xr1//:fakehd.bin"); then, you should save that configuration into the EEPROM (@"xw").  (After that, you won't need to use @"xr" anymore.)

By the way, if you configure drives in GEOS/Wheels, and see messages about turning drives off/on, then ignore them -- they aren't for you!  Don't change a drive's power; don't reset a drive.  (Those messages are for people who have two drives with the same unit number.)

Greg King

Jun 28, 2016, 10:42:14 AM6/28/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 8:57:51 PM UTC-4, Raymond wrote:
If I boot GEOS from a D81 on my uIEC, a 2nd Disk icon shows up; and, I click on it. It should be the hard drive. But, it comes back with:

Operation canceled due to disk error:

1:02    Drive A track 75 sector 62 (hex)

That's
I:02
I don't know what the letter "I" means.  I think that the GEOS error-code "02" means the same thing that the CBM DOS error-code "20" means.

Greg King

Jun 28, 2016, 11:03:59 AM6/28/16
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 10:10:45 AM UTC-4, Raymond wrote:
It worked! After it copied in Wheels, it said some error. I think, error #1

But, I open both windows; and, they looked the same. It took about 3 hours. They both say the same K free. So, making that DNP the default size is the same as the default size making a CMD hard drive partition.
I put the SD card in my PC -- that 8 GB test one -- and, copy the DNP partition to the 64 GB card; and, booted Wheels from it. It works, and without the hard drive.

Be careful about how you use the word "partition".

Different formats are stored as different partitions on Creative Micro Designs drives.

But, they are stored as different files on sd2iec drives.  Those disk-image files can be used as subdirectories.  One partition can hold many different disk-image files.

Greg King

Jun 28, 2016, 11:28:03 AM6/28/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 2:18:34 PM UTC-4, Raymond wrote:
I downloaded a uIEC GEOS; and, it works well with my PS2 mouse. I just need to get it to work in Wheels. But, I guess I need the driver, but no way to copy the USR mouse driver there without GEOS.
That downloaded GEOS works real well on my uIEC.

But, looks like no way I can pick my CMD hard drive. I like to go to the NAT partition I have Wheels installed on. Is there a way to do that with this GEOS on a d81 that runs on my uIEC?

That "geos-uiec" doesn't support Hard Disk Drives.  HDDs need a special version of the "configure" program, modified by Creative Micro Designs.  It usually came with the CMD drive.  I can't remember if it was on the HD or on a separate micro-floppy.

David Witmer

Sep 23, 2016, 10:24:10 PM9/23/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I recently found a program that might interest users here that need to back up their native partitions from any CMD device to their uIEC. http://csdb.dk/release/?id=148151

Raymond

Sep 24, 2016, 8:03:11 AM9/24/16
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
Thank you David. I got that from the on line PDF commodore magazine's.

Tested it out and looks like the names are to long on my CMD had drive and uIEC it will break out to say press play on tape. Never let me go to the menu.

Just tested it with my uIEC and at lest can go to the menu. But looks like have to pick each file one by one you can't till it to pick all like with a * or something.

It looks good just if it worked a little better.

-Raymond Day