Easiest way to get started on Ubuntu?

LonnieTC

Oct 16, 2020, 1:26:29 PM10/16/20
to twister-users
Hi All,

New to Twister and am just now wanting to investigate it more.

I have a couple of VPS servers and would like to setup some nodes so that I can test how it works.

My system is Ubuntu 20.04 and I tried build it from scratch, but the source code seems to need updates before it will compile as I found a number of depreciated calls during the compile which ultimately crashed.

Then I tried the Docker approach on one of my VPS systems with

docker pull miguelfreitas/twister

docker run -d -p 28332:28332 -v $HOME/.twister:/root/.twister miguelfreitas/twister

after I tried to connect from my browser to the VPS system running Twister but it would not let me connect.

Am I missing something here?

Amr Aboelela

Oct 16, 2020, 1:49:33 PM10/16/20
to twiste...@googlegroups.com

Lonnie Cumberland

Oct 16, 2020, 2:05:17 PM10/16/20
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amr,

Thanks for the info and I will give it a try.

Any ideas on using the native Docker approach?  I really only wanted to do that first just to try to see it in action since when I ran the docker pull locally I could get to the web page but then for some reason it could not access any other Twister nodes even though I opened the TCP & UDP ports for 28333 & 29333 respectively as the documentation suggested.

When that did not work, I did a Docker pull on my Internet VPS and then tried to access it via the browser as I had done locally but it gave me an "Access Denied ..." even with the (user/pwd) in the URL call.

Like I said, I really just wanted to see it in action before I started to compile up things since I would like to explore this as a P2P option that can take on the Twitter Oligarch and maybe a few more P2P apps as well in other areas, just as some initial thoughts.