Politics May Keep 'Good Doctor' Off in Mich.

Mark Jeffries

Nov 16, 2023, 11:34:50 AM11/16/23
to TVorNotTV
Cast member Hill Harper is running for the U.S. Senate in Michigan as a Democrat replacing the retiring Debbie Stabenow and Sony Pictures Television, the ABC medical drama's producer, is requesting the Federal Election Commission to rule on whether airing a program featuring appearances by an actor in a role running for political office in real life, whether on ABC, Hulu or syndication, is legal in the state of Michigan:

Seems  to me from past experience that the answer would be "no."

M-D November

Nov 17, 2023, 2:04:43 PM11/17/23
to TVorNotTV
Outside of Dumpsterfire Jessica Trump, what other first-run examples are there?

Mark Jeffries

Nov 17, 2023, 2:35:48 PM11/17/23
to TVorNotTV
Seems to me that there were actors in the past running for office who had to have their shows taken off where they were running.

PGage

Nov 17, 2023, 7:37:13 PM11/17/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Gopher got let out of his Love Boat contract, but did they ban reruns?

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Kevin M.

Nov 17, 2023, 7:43:17 PM11/17/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I recall working on the Tonight Show when Gary Coleman, Arnold, a porn star, and dozens of others were running for governor of California. Between standards and practices and state election officials, it was a nightmare for the show producers to try to avoid the obvious bias towards the Terminator.

PGage

Nov 17, 2023, 7:46:40 PM11/17/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
My memory is that Jay Leno never ever pretended to hide his pro Arnold bias during that period.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Kevin M.

Nov 17, 2023, 7:59:47 PM11/17/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Nope. I still feel California residents should’ve sued Leno and NBC for election tampering.

Honestly, the most genial (and surprisingly coherent) of the candidates backstage was the porn star, whose name escapes me. But I voted for Gary Coleman, because the entire election was a sham by that point so it made no difference.

Melissa P

Nov 17, 2023, 8:03:19 PM11/17/23
to tvornottv, Melissa P
If I remember correctly, HWCNBN had (at least) one already taped show (Drop the Mic) not broadcast (it was shown after the election) and had to bow out of an American Idol appearance.

bobjersey

Nov 17, 2023, 8:05:42 PM11/17/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Mary Carey, who likely took (was given) that name because she looked somewhat like Mariah...

Kevin M, to PGage, Nov 17th:

Nope. I still feel California residents should’ve sued Leno and NBC for election tampering.

Honestly, the most genial (and surprisingly coherent) of the candidates backstage was the porn star, whose name escapes me. But I voted for Gary Coleman, because the entire election was a sham by that point so it made no difference.

My memory is that Jay Leno never ever pretended to hide his pro Arnold bias during that period.

Kevin M.

Nov 17, 2023, 8:11:18 PM11/17/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 5:05 PM 'bobjersey' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Mary Carey, who likely took (was given) that name because she looked somewhat like Mariah...

That sounds right. She was amusing during the taping of the show because she kept flipping off the camera whenever Leno insulted her..

Kevin M, to PGage, Nov 17th: