SortaNoTV: 'Smash' May Make It to Broadway

Mark Jeffries

Mar 22, 2023, 11:35:28 AM3/22/23
to TVorNotTV
The 2012-13 NBC drama series about the pressure to put up a Broadway musical may end up as a Broadway musical in the 2024-25 season--many of the people involved in the original series are involved here, including Steven Spielberg and at-the-time NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt as producers (but notably not credited series creator Theresa Rebeck, who angrily left after the first season)--no casting announced yet:

The original plans were to do make the show-within-a-show "Bombshell" an actual show, but after a workshop last year it was decided to stick with an adaptation of the series.

Bob Jersey

Mar 22, 2023, 12:20:00 PM3/22/23
to TVorNotTV
Elsewhere on the legit scene, Aaron Sorkin has created a new book for Lerner and Loewe's Camelot... it's currently in previews at Lincoln Center, but came dang close to starting rehearsals without the librettist, who had to recover from a near-fatal stroke...

Mark Jeffries, March 22nd:

Melissa P

Mar 22, 2023, 2:51:57 PM3/22/23
to tvornottv, Melissa P
I was a big fan of the series -- bought all of the music and even managed to attend the one night only concert version of the series in New York in 2015, which was superb.

Initially, when it was first talked about, the broadway production was supposed to be Bombshell, the musical within the musical, but, fortunately that plan got canned.

I doubt any of the original cast will be on stage.  Oddly enough, I saw both Megan Hilty and Katharine McPhee in concert this year (at different times).

Mark Jeffries

Mar 22, 2023, 3:02:17 PM3/22/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I look forward to Arthur and Guinevere doing walk-and-talks (and walk-and-sings) through the castle and "If Ever I Would Leave You" done Gilbert-and-Sullivan style.

Mark Jeffries
spotl...@gmail.com