Staff announcers?

daniel anderson

Jul 13, 2020, 8:46:18 AM7/13/20
to TVorNotTV
I do wonder if networks still use live announcers for like when there is a bulletin, etc.?

Tom Wolper

Jul 13, 2020, 8:59:16 AM7/13/20
to TV or not TV
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 8:46 AM daniel anderson <danieland...@gmail.com> wrote:
I do wonder if networks still use live announcers for like when there is a bulletin, etc.?

I'm sure they have a prerecorded "we're interrupting this program to take you to our newsroom" or whatever they say.

Mark Jeffries

Jul 13, 2020, 9:21:56 AM7/13/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The only place with what you might call live "booth announcers" are the C-SPAN channels, who have someone live during live events, sometimes on camera, sometimes not, all vying to be one of John Oliver's Most Patient People on Television every time they take viewer phone calls.

Adam Bowie

Jul 13, 2020, 9:40:44 AM7/13/20
to tvornottv
Continuity announcers are still alive and well at the BBC in the UK! Indeed each UK nation gets its own announcer. So you hear someone different in Scotland to England - in part because there are slight regional variations in programming. And they really are there all the time - not just pre-recorded links.

Adam

Bob Jersey

Jul 13, 2020, 9:41:03 AM7/13/20
to TVorNotTV
The last (few) news cut-ins I've seen didn't have any intervening VOs, except for "This is a (so-and-so) Special Report" over a graphic before dissolving to the applicable anchor...

Tom Wolper, to daniel anderson, today (7/13):

Joe Hass

Jul 13, 2020, 9:51:44 AM7/13/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
VO? No. Someone in full makeup to go on-camera extremely quickly? Yes.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 7:46 AM daniel anderson <danieland...@gmail.com> wrote:
I do wonder if networks still use live announcers for like when there is a bulletin, etc.?

Jim Ellwanger

Jul 13, 2020, 10:16:35 AM7/13/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

> On Jul 13, 2020, at 6:51 AM, Joe Hass <hassg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> VO? No. Someone in full makeup to go on-camera extremely quickly? Yes.

And back when I worked in live closed captioning in the late 1990s, NBC paid to have a live captioner on standby, monitoring NBC's main network feed, 7 days a week from 6:00 A.M. to midnight Eastern -- just in case there was a special report that needed to be captioned. (Ideally, they would call in advance to give a heads-up that a special report was imminent, but that didn't always happen.)

Mark Jeffries

Jul 13, 2020, 5:21:27 PM7/13/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Are ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5's continuity announcers still live in key time slots?  I know that ITV's announcers are all in London now and record announcements for ITV regional programming (which nowadays is almost all news bulletins).

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

Adam Bowie

Jul 14, 2020, 4:15:37 AM7/14/20
to tvornottv
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 10:21 PM Mark Jeffries <spotl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5's continuity announcers still live in key time slots?  I know that ITV's announcers are all in London now and record announcements for ITV regional programming (which nowadays is almost all news bulletins).

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

I believe so. Exactly what the mix is between pre-recorded and live, I'm not sure. I know for a while that a former colleague of mine was a continuity announcer for a UK TV channel while living in the US, so anything is possible. But most channels do you use them.