Fwd: Lea Michele Replaces Beanie Feldstein as Fanny Brice in Broadway's 'Funny Girl'

Melissa P

Jul 11, 2022, 1:19:57 PM7/11/22
to tvornottv, takingupspace. 03
Duh

View on web

New reader? Subscribe

Breaking News

July 11, 2022

Lea Michele Replaces Beanie Feldstein as Fanny Brice in Broadway's 'Funny Girl'

Lea Michele is replacing Beanie Feldstein in Broadway's revival of "Funny Girl."

Read More

This email was sent to takingup...@gmail.com by Variety. Please add em...@email.variety.com to your address book to ensure delivery to your inbox.

Visit the Preferences Center to update your profile and customize what email alerts and newsletters you receive.

Copyright © 2022 Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC.

11175 Santa Monica Boulevard Los Angeles, CA, 90025

View in Browser | Privacy Policy | Your California Privacy Rights | Ad Choices | Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

Bob Jersey

Jul 11, 2022, 1:32:47 PM7/11/22
to TVorNotTV
Guaran-dang-teeing her an invite to chat with Colbert.     B

M-D November

Jul 11, 2022, 2:37:10 PM7/11/22
to TVorNotTV
More to the point (and more on topic), Glee fans (Gleeks? Gleetards?) finally get their wish.

Bob Jersey

Jul 11, 2022, 2:47:41 PM7/11/22
to TVorNotTV
The first one is the more common. https://glee.fandom.com/wiki/Gleeks (link)    B

M-D November, to moi, July 11th:

Mark Jeffries

Jul 11, 2022, 7:20:22 PM7/11/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And theater Twitter is beside itself, especially those who believe that her alleged racist behavior on the "Glee" set precludes her from the role.

Mark Jeffries
spotl...@gmail.com

Melissa P

Jul 12, 2022, 12:12:13 PM7/12/22
to tvornottv, takingupspace. 03
TV related -- art imitating art -- that is, Ryan Murphy deserves some credit.

(It was mentioned in today's Washington Post, and I'm sure throughout social media,)

Toward the end of the series Glee there was a story arc in which Rachel (Lea Michele's character), now a college student in NYC, auditions for -- and gets -- the role of Fanny Brice in a Broadway revival of Funny Girl.

Mark Jeffries

Jul 12, 2022, 12:31:32 PM7/12/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com, takingupspace. 03
In particular the fact that over the course of the series (which can be seen now on both Disney+ and Hulu) she sings every single song Fanny sings in the show and the movie combined, for the most part seemingly imitating Streisand (which, face it, is very easy to do in that show if you can do it).  This was something Beanie Feldstein seemed to try very hard not to do in her performance in the revival, and she caught hell for it (not to mention complaints that her parents were investors, just like the complaints about Ben Platt being in the play and movie of "Dear Evan Hansen," produced by his dad).  The fact that to many Michele has always come off as a title-of-Rolling-Stones-song hasn't helped any.

Mark Jeffries
spotl...@gmail.com

Dave Sikula

Jul 13, 2022, 6:56:34 AM7/13/22
to TVorNotTV
The Daily Beast has some of the backstage info, and I can't decide if if it was handled uglier or more stupid: https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-the-real-broadway-drama-over-lea-michele-replacing-beanie-feldstein-in-funny-girl?ref=home

Regardless, I'm not much of a fan of the show (and even less of Streisand), but wild horses couldn't drag me in to see Michele.

--Dave Sikula