J! to replay "GOAT" tourney

Bob Jersey

Apr 21, 2020, 5:59:21 PM4/21/20
to TVorNotTV
May 4th to 15th, bookended by Jennings' first and last episodes as a daily contestant...

Joe Hass

Apr 21, 2020, 6:03:34 PM4/21/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
My (slightly related) question: have the fine folks at Sony Pictures hinted at what they'll do once they run out of new episodes? From a brief perusal of the Web, it sounds like they're good through the end of May.

Brad Beam

Apr 21, 2020, 6:26:31 PM4/21/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Hass

>My (slightly related) question: have the fine folks at Sony Pictures hinted at what they'll do once they run out of new episodes? From a brief perusal of the Web, it sounds like they're good through the end of May.

I don’t know what this would mean contractually, but Sony could always elect to take their annual six-week summer break early.

_   _

|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV

|_>|_>  http://www.facebook.com/74bmw

Jim Ellwanger

Apr 21, 2020, 11:02:39 PM4/21/20
to 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV

> On Apr 21, 2020, at 3:03 PM, Joe Hass <hassg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My (slightly related) question: have the fine folks at Sony Pictures hinted at what they'll do once they run out of new episodes? From a brief perusal of the Web, it sounds like they're good through the end of May.

This rerun of the GOAT tournament is being plugged into a slot that was originally set for the annual Teachers’ Tournament, which is apparently now going to run in the two weeks starting on Memorial Day.

So now, unless they change the schedule, the end of new shows for the season will be a week with regular contestants that was taped without a studio audience, airing June 8-12.

Mark Jeffries

May 2, 2020, 12:04:49 AM5/2/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And tonight was "Wheel"'s premature season finale,  ending with the week without an audience (obvious when the winning contestant's family got their usual top-of-the-bonus-road showing standing in front of a flat instead of sitting in the audience.  And officially this was Harry Friedman's last day as showrunner of both shows, as he hands the keys over to Mike Richards:

Besides how to get back in production and respect the pandemic, Richards is inheriting from Friedman Alex Trebek's health problems and the possible imminent retirement of "Wheel"'s hosts (made clear by Pat Sajak's time in the hospital this season), meaning he's probably going to have to make complete host changes within the next few years.  (And Johnny Gilbert is 95--they may have to have him pre-record and have someone else do the warmup.)  In addition, there are many who feel that "Wheel" needs more than just a few format tweaks to bring the ratings back up (less of a problem with "Jeopardy!", especially when they have a charismatic and dominant champion).  The question is if Richards can make them without pissing off the loyal, if aged, "Wheel" audience.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

daniel anderson

May 2, 2020, 11:40:38 AM5/2/20
to TVorNotTV
Johnny is the oldest current announcer currently working- but Don Morrow, who announced for "Sale of the Century" in the late 80s is still around, at 93 years old. That;s amazing.

Ben Scripps

May 5, 2020, 8:27:14 PM5/5/20
to 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV
On Apr 21, 2020, at 5:59 PM, 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

May 4th to 15th, bookended by Jennings' first and last episodes as a daily contestant...

I guess I’ve sat on this long enough…when new episodes resume on Monday the 18th, I’ll be at the center lectern trying to dethrone Mr. Sikula as the reigning TV or Not TV Jeopardy! champion.  (I don’t think we have any other past champions, do we?)

Kevin M.

May 5, 2020, 8:56:47 PM5/5/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Go Ben go!

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Joe Hass

May 5, 2020, 9:10:35 PM5/5/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Hot damn! Guess I'm gonna have something else to do on March 18 at 3:30 PM CT!

Dave Sikula

May 6, 2020, 5:38:42 AM5/6/20
to TVorNotTV
The best of luck to you! And it really, truly IS all in the buzzer. I'd never been more nervous in my life than in the first game, so try to overcome that. And if you win the Wednesday show, for god's sake, don't overeat before the Thursday show.

--Dave Sikula

Diner

May 6, 2020, 10:12:12 AM5/6/20
to TVorNotTV
That is the best news to come out of this lockdown yet!

Melissa P

May 6, 2020, 8:29:42 PM5/6/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Great news!  Congratulations.

Ben Scripps

May 6, 2020, 9:59:39 PM5/6/20
to 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV
On May 6, 2020, at 5:38 AM, 'Dave Sikula' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> And it really, truly IS all in the buzzer.

This needs to be in big flashing neon letters at the audition. Going in, I thought I’d have a natural advantage, what with being a technical director and being used to timing things down to a 30th of a second on a regular basis, but there just aren’t enough words to describe how tough buzzing at the right moment is.

Brad Beam

May 7, 2020, 7:38:41 AM5/7/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
May 7, 2020, 11:26:31 AM5/7/20
to TVorNotTV
Congrats, Ben, and retroactive good luck.

I qualified four consecutive times years ago, but never got the call. Not sure if I could do it now; it takes me longer to retrieve information. I know it, and I know that I know it, but I can't pull it up as fast.

David Bruggeman

May 7, 2020, 6:55:58 PM5/7/20
to TVorNotTV
The J! website has a practice test and a couple of games for you to get back into game shape, if you want to challenge yourself without trying the actual test.

FWIW, I know - at least from my perception - that some tests are easier for me than others.

David

Brad Beam

May 16, 2020, 12:48:25 PM5/16/20
to TVorNotTV
Speaking of listers' appearances on game shows....
For those long-time posters who remember Sue Trowbridge - who supplied the list with late-night lineups (and still does via her website http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html) - and were surprised to hear her name on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" this weekend, so was she.

Apparently, there are (at least) two Sue Trowbridges in the Bay Area. Our Sue is the East Bay one.

And best of luck of Ben. May he appear as a future supporter-in-residence on "Celebrity Millionaire."
 _   _
|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV

Jim Ellwanger

May 16, 2020, 12:52:58 PM5/16/20
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

> On May 16, 2020, at 9:48 AM, Brad Beam <b.b...@suddenlink.net> wrote:
>
> And best of luck of Ben. May he appear as a future supporter-in-residence on "Celebrity Millionaire."

Don't forget to check your DVRs -- when I looked this morning, mine didn't have Monday's "Jeopardy!" scheduled to record, because it thought it had recorded it two weeks ago (the listing provider had issues with the first few days of those two weeks of reruns).

Bob Jersey

May 16, 2020, 5:33:27 PM5/16/20
to TVorNotTV

Brad Beam, to Ben Scripps, today (5/16):
Speaking of listers' appearances on game shows....
For those long-time posters who remember Sue Trowbridge - who supplied the list with late-night lineups (and still does via her website http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html) - and were surprised to hear her name on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" this weekend, so was she.

Apparently, there are (at least) two Sue Trowbridges in the Bay Area. Our Sue is the East Bay one.

And best of luck of Ben. May he appear as a future supporter-in-residence on "Celebrity Millionaire."

I was going to remind myself to check on next week's lineups, before venturing off to my favorite area farm market for the first time since long before the restrictions, but I thank Brad for his reminder, and add my congrats to Ben as well.

(For the record, most of the LN bunch are still new in the coming week [I don't count Fridays as, other than Fallon, they're either repeating or off])