The Return of Scottish Conan Guy

Diner

Jan 17, 2023, 8:46:39 PM1/17/23
to TVorNotTV

Sony Pictures Television is plotting a return to the syndicated talk show arena with a half-hour late-night strip hosted by Craig Ferguson. Produced by Whisper North, a division of SPT-backed production company Whisper, Channel Surf with Craig Ferguson shot a pilot in the UK earlier this month and is being taken out to potential buyers by distributor SPT this week in Los Angeles.

Channel Surf with Craig Ferguson, which also marks the comedian’s return to late-night since leaving CBS’ The Late Late Show in 2014, will feature Ferguson and his friends as they “review the shocking, surprising and hilarious moments of the week’s shows.”

https://deadline.com/2023/01/channel-surf-with-craig-ferguson-syndicated-late-night-talk-show-sony-fall-2023-1235224549/

David Bruggeman

Jan 17, 2023, 9:16:34 PM1/17/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
As I'm probably the biggest SCG mark on the list, you all know I'll check this out should it get picked up.

I am curious about the show description, probably because of a badly written piece.  I'm getting mixed messages as to whether it is a daily or a weekly show.  In my head, the reference to strip suggests it's five nights a week (or maybe four, as most of the major network late night programs regularly skip Fridays).  That would fit with the show being marketed to fill spots usually taken by sitcom reruns.  But this description of the show as a review of the week's shows makes me think a weekly effort.

Also, is the reference to Ferguson and his friends just an attempt at alliteration, or is this maybe a panel show?  That's probably the only way you could have more than one guest on in a 30 minute format.  Or they eschew guests entirely and we have something like what British Jimmy does in the beginning act of his LLS where there's a lot of back and forth with the staff and band members (a holdover from COVID-era shows) in place of a more traditional monologue.

Whatever it is, it'll be much better than Comics Only reruns.

David

Kevin M.

Jan 17, 2023, 9:26:04 PM1/17/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com