late late night news

Jon Delfin

Feb 7, 2023, 8:18:12 PM2/7/23
to tvornottv

Doug Eastick

Feb 7, 2023, 8:23:05 PM2/7/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Meh.

I wasn't sure what to expect as a replacement, but that choice doesn't give me much "I'll give that a try" feeling.

So then, west coast late night shows for PR rounds of TV/movie people is just Kimmel then?

David Bruggeman

Feb 7, 2023, 9:08:51 PM2/7/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Unless the new host (whenever that is announced) of The Daily Show moves the program out west, Kimmel will be the sole late night west coast program.

The Hardwick-hosted version of @midnight focused on comedians.  Since Hardwick isn't attached, it's possible the show may cast a wider booking net.

Strictly speaking, @midnight was a panel show, which is the kind of program SCG is attached to.  My interest in any new version of @midnight (or @12:37, I suppose) will rely on whomever hosts the show.

David

Kevin M.

Feb 7, 2023, 9:10:57 PM2/7/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, let’s get a host who is a lot less Hardwicky

Kevin M. (RPCV)

PGage

Feb 7, 2023, 9:22:40 PM2/7/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Hard to believe anyone in the world has been crossing their fingers hoping for an @Midnight reboot. But this is exactly the kind of choice that makes sense: easy to produce, allows for stars of films to TV shows to serve as panelists to pimp projects (totally expect at least one non-comic chair per night) and, most of all, very cheap. From what I can tell Corden makes $9M/year. Whoever hosts this new thing will I suspect make no more than 10% of that.

They could have made up a new format, but one is as good as another, and I guess they already own this one. Find a likable youngish host ( if this were NBC the host would be Bowen Yang, not sure if the Paramount Universe has anyone similar - maybe a TDS correspondent?).

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Jim Ellwanger

Feb 7, 2023, 9:24:22 PM2/7/23
to tvorNotTV Bob Jersey via
I’m sure Elon Musk is looking forward to the return of Hashtag Wars to increase Twitter engagement.

M-D November

Feb 8, 2023, 2:21:15 PM2/8/23
to TVorNotTV
*raises hand*

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the original run of @midnight and was not happy when CC pulled it, so I'm glad to see it coming back in some form.

I do have concerns that having the show air on CBS will tone down some of the humor, but I can see the panel remaining heavy on comedians - the original tried a few episodes with less-comedically-inclined actor types and the results were not great - although the key concern is going to be who gets tapped as host.  With Hardwick out of the picture (I thought he got cleared of his accusations, since he was back on AMC, but...*shrug*), finding someone who can manage the pace of the game and still keep up the manic energy of a show that described itself as "Jeopardy but with dick jokes" is going to be critical for the success of the show.

And for what it's worth, #f**kspacekaren.

Jim Ellwanger

Feb 8, 2023, 3:53:06 PM2/8/23
to tvorNotTV Bob Jersey via
I'll admit that I liked it, too, although I only watched occasionally (mainly when a comedian I really liked was among the "competitors").

I wonder if the new version is going to open with the host saying "It's 12:36 and 59 seconds."

Jon Delfin

Feb 8, 2023, 3:55:03 PM2/8/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
isn't Hardwick under contract with NBC? it might be that simple

Kevin M.

Feb 8, 2023, 4:13:47 PM2/8/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 11:21 AM M-D November <mdnov...@gmail.com> wrote:
*raises hand*

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the original run of @midnight and was not happy when CC pulled it, so I'm glad to see it coming back in some form.

I do have concerns that having the show air on CBS will tone down some of the humor, but I can see the panel remaining heavy on comedians - the original tried a few episodes with less-comedically-inclined actor types and the results were not great - although the key concern is going to be who gets tapped as host.  With Hardwick out of the picture (I thought he got cleared of his accusations, since he was back on AMC, but...*shrug*),

Hardwick was cleared by his family’s personal attorneys, so if you believe the people he paid to defend him were fair and impartial, he was cleared. If you take literally anybody else at their word, Hardwick is a sleazebag who should be daily kicked in the gonads.

On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 at 5:23 PM Doug Eastick <eas...@eastick.ca> wrote:
Meh.

I wasn't sure what to expect as a replacement, but that choice doesn't give me much "I'll give that a try" feeling.

So then, west coast late night shows for PR rounds of TV/movie people is just Kimmel then?

On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 8:18 PM Jon Delfin <jond...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Steve Timko

Feb 8, 2023, 7:46:42 PM2/8/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I was also a fan of @midnight and I’m even a fan of Chris Hardwick. I liked @midnight for the same reason I liked Lights Out With David Spade. It gave me a chance to see a bunch of new comedians.
Hardwick’s company helped produce @midnight. It was part of his empire that included his podcast and Nerdmelt. I wonder if he couldn’t do that at CBS.

M-D November

Feb 9, 2023, 2:17:06 PM2/9/23
to TVorNotTV
Hardwick sold Nerdist Industries to Legendary Entertainment about a decade ago, and he stepped down from any executive position back in 2015, well before the 'unpleasantness'.

IIRC, Funny or Die was involved with production of the original @midnight, so it makes sense that they'd retain the rights.  Tom Lennon was also an EP, although I don't really if he'd be involved with the reboot.

Mark Jeffries

Feb 9, 2023, 2:38:49 PM2/9/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And Funny or Die produced that pickleball special with Colbert.  It all comes around eventually.

Mark Jeffries
spotl...@gmail.com