Super Bowl Ratings

PGage

Feb 12, 2024, 10:31:24 PMFeb 12
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Puck News’ Matt Belloni predicted  123.1M - pretty close to reported 123.4.

It was a fabulous game.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Kevin M.

Feb 12, 2024, 10:34:47 PMFeb 12
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
What verifiable data is being supplied to or by Nielsen to support these numbers? I feel like the networks and streamers distrust ratings unless the numbers serve them. And I’ve not seen evidence that streaming services are sharing user data needed to accurately report ratings.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Stan S

Feb 12, 2024, 10:56:15 PMFeb 12
to TVorNotTV
I got annoyed by the delay on Spectrum so I switched to plain old antenna. I remain unmeasurable.

-Stan

Jim Ellwanger

Feb 12, 2024, 11:09:55 PMFeb 12
to tvorNotTV Bob Jersey via
I was at a friends’ apartment watching on good old-fashioned Spectrum cable. Some other people in the complex were loudly cheering for things about 45 seconds after we’d seen them, so I assume they were watching on Paramount+ or some other streaming option.

David Bruggeman

Feb 13, 2024, 12:24:12 AMFeb 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I watched on Nickelodeon, as I can't take football seriously.  I'm probably covered somewhere in the fine print.

I'm out of the SpongeBob demo, but I must admit that having SpongeBob and Patrick Star join CBS's fifth-string made for an entertaining watch.

Best,
David

Adam Bowie

Feb 13, 2024, 8:15:25 AMFeb 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 3:34 AM Kevin M. <drunkba...@gmail.com> wrote:
What verifiable data is being supplied to or by Nielsen to support these numbers? I feel like the networks and streamers distrust ratings unless the numbers serve them. And I’ve not seen evidence that streaming services are sharing user data needed to accurately report ratings.

From reports it looks like the number is a combination of Nielsen Fast National data combined with streaming numbers via Adobe Analytics. My presumption is that CBS themselves crunched the numbers on that because no matter how you were streaming CBS - whether via Paramount+, via YouTube TV or some other way - you're still hitting CBS/Paramount servers so they have that information.

Obviously some people may have, say, started on P+, had a bad experience and switched to broadcast. But that'll all get averaged out in the data.

What's particularly important here is that they're providing a number who watched the whole game. It goes up to over 200m for people who watched a bit of the game. When streamers talk about numbers they can be anything from 30 seconds upwards of watch-time counting as a view, whereas a traditional TV number is an average of people who watched the whole show. So yes, more people probably watched the end of a tight game than saw the beginning, but it gets average out.

Personally, I made it until just after half-time (Usher isn't really my thing), and then slept because by then it was 2.30am on a workday... Woke up to the score but would happily have stayed up to watch it otherwise. Sky Sports took CBS commentary supplemented with their own presenters in a booth somewhere in the stadium. ITV used NFL Network branded pictures and had their own British commentator alongside a US colleague, again supplemented with presenters in a stadium booth - I assume right next door to Sky's booth.

PGage

Feb 13, 2024, 9:37:04 AMFeb 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Well, it has never been true that they count every single person watching a program, but the observation was made in several sites last night that they have probably never had a more accurate estimate of SB viewers than they did this year. They now estimate viewers in public venues and those who streamed and a separate count for those who only watched part of it. Indeed, for comps purposes that is a drawback, as the claim this year had the most viewers ever is undermined by the possibility they just counted more of the viewers than ever. And of course, there are a lot more people in the country and the world than 10 and 20 years ago, so it is also probably true that more people than ever did not watch the Super Bowl.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Kevin M.

Feb 13, 2024, 9:51:03 AMFeb 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The vagueness of people’s responses to my initial comment emphasizes my point.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Adam Bowie

Feb 13, 2024, 10:03:59 AMFeb 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I think you're being unfair Kevin. This is certainly the most accurate count of any large sporting event ever. Far more accurate than figures for things like the finale of MASH or the 1969 moon landings.

Any global number I would, however, take with a pinch of salt.

Kevin M.

Feb 13, 2024, 10:11:00 AMFeb 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
For two years, the networks disavowed the ratings system. Then when people called on the streamers to open their data up to verify the numbers they were dependently releasing, suddenly the ratings system was fine again.

To the best of my knowledge, no studio or streamer is allowing any independent verification of the numbers they are releasing. So we are taking Paramount’s word, even though they have every reason to lie and inflate their numbers.

I believe it was a highly rated tv event. I just don’t accept the lack of data used to manufacture the specific numbers.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Kevin M.

Feb 13, 2024, 5:44:11 PMFeb 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Apparently ratings success equals mass-layoffs at Paramount

Diner

Feb 13, 2024, 7:14:34 PMFeb 13
to TVorNotTV
And the layoffs include 20 at CBS News, notably reporters Catherine Herridge (national security) and Jeff Pegues (justice).

Joe Hass

Feb 13, 2024, 7:25:06 PMFeb 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
To steal from Spinal Tap:

"We laid off our national security and Justice correspondents."

"What?"

"Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it though, DC's not a big news town."

PGage

Feb 15, 2024, 10:14:42 PMFeb 15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
From John Ourand at Puck News…

“In reality, this season’s remarkable ratings had little to do with Travis and Taylor. Instead, the bump had more to do with the inclusion of out-of-home viewing, which has allowed Nielsen to count people watching at bars and restaurants or a friend’s house since 2020. For big events like the Super Bowl or Thanksgiving Day games, out-of-home can add around 20 percent to the overall number. My sources say this methodology can increase regular NFL Sunday ratings by more than 10 percent.”

Sent from Gmail Mobile