Sen. Katie Britt's State of the Union response: Discuss

Steve Timko

Mar 9, 2024, 3:59:31 PMMar 9
to TV or Not TV

I wanted to comment on Sen. Katie Britt’s response to the president’s State of the Union address.

I streamed her rebuttal with the sound on low. So I didn’t really hear it live. But I glanced at it from time to time. My first reaction was, “Putting her in a kitchen makes her look like a housewife, not a senator.”

What really stopped me was her creepy smile. She is a successful politician but she can’t produce a decent smile? Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has the same problem.

Afterward, I heard the recap of what she said. And how she said it. The Republicans have known for four years they would be giving the response to the State of the Union and this is what they offer? Especially after previous flubs by Bobby Jindal and Marco Rubio.

It’s like someone gave her the assignment to connect with the public and she proved herself incapable of doing that. It’s not that hard. Just speak with genuine emotion. Not the manufactured emotion she stumbled through.

We all know the cold open for tonight’s “Saturday Night Live.”

There’s a lot of good rebuttals to Britt’s rebuttal, but I like this best:

https://www.tiktok.com/@joyreidofficial/video/7344440653272698154

At the risk of being a complete chauvinist, Megyn Kelly is looking totally hot. I suspect there’s some digital manipulation of her image.

https://youtu.be/iqxURf4EiKw?si=Q4c_Jud0ceyxu4zt

Kevin M.

Mar 9, 2024, 8:08:34 PMMar 9
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Everybody seems to have had a lot to say about Britt. What is worth reminding everybody is that her response was geared towards the 33% of the nation that still supports Trump (and will always do so). It wasn’t to change minds; it was to try to remind the Trump cult that they are still there, still wallowing in the swamp. If you had liked (or even been able to tolerate) her inane banter, it would be a failure. It pandered to those blinded and stupefied by hatred and ignorance. The cult loves that the left is making fun of this video.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

PGage

Mar 9, 2024, 8:48:49 PMMar 9
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Kevin, except the loudest complaints have come from professional GOP politicians, who know the key swing voter demo is white suburban women. These women are susceptible to the low tax (even if that is bs) anti immigration part of the Republican message, but are turned off by the hyper moralism, and especially triggered by the overturning of Roe. Somehow they have to find a non-Trump voice to send the message that Republicans respect and understand that women can be good mothers and hardworking professionals who can be trusted to make their own decisions about their bodies, and one of their best candidates for being that messenger spent this high profile platform sending message women should be in the kitchen, and can discuss important issues in a reasonable, professional manner.

Which is to say, one of their problems is not just that Trump is their candidate, but that he has taken over complete control of the party.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Steve Timko

Mar 10, 2024, 5:55:01 AMMar 10
to TV or Not TV

Dave Sikula

Mar 10, 2024, 5:56:15 AMMar 10
to TVorNotTV
I wasn't expecting much from the inevitable SNL cold opening, and that's exactly what I got.

While it wasn't as bad as I figured it would be, casting ScarJo in the part was a major mistake. Between her usual one-note acting and utter inability to capture either Britt's vocal quality or cadences or bland vacuousness, there wasn't a lot there.

--Dave Sikua

Tom Wolper

Mar 10, 2024, 11:35:24 AMMar 10
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I didn’t bother with SNL so I can’t comment on that. Regarding the Sen Britt response speech:

1. Doing the response to the SOTU is like hosting the Golden Globes. You’re gonna get roasted no matter how well you do. I’m guessing people aren’t lining up to do it.

2. The SOTU response is a good opportunity for someone in the party with a low profile to get in front of a national audience. So the speaker needs to be someone who has leadership ambitions, but not so much that they overshadow Trump as they’ll get marginalized for it.

3. The current GOP platform is whatever Trump wants and nobody wants to get ahead of him so the response speech isn’t going to be about policy or planks from previous GOP platforms. All that’s left are MAGA vibes.

4. Putting Sen. Britt in a kitchen and talking like a housewife rather than a legislator is deliberate. Amanda Marcotte explains it better than I ever could:

Having seen Adam Kinzinger on talk shows, I think he would have been ideal for the SOTU response. But today’s GOP let it be known there’s no room for him there.

Steve Timko

Mar 12, 2024, 10:46:55 AMMar 12
to TV or Not TV