Interesting game show insight

Steve Timko

May 2, 2023, 11:18:16 PM5/2/23
to TV or Not TV
Game show panelists were often drunk for Thursday and Friday shows.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRw5rX83/

Bob Jersey

May 4, 2023, 3:07:54 PM5/4/23
to TVorNotTV
I'll bet that started while Whoopi was still producing...     B

Steve Timko, May 2nd:

David Bruggeman

May 4, 2023, 3:15:31 PM5/4/23
to 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV
I've heard stories that this was commonplace in the 70s, particularly with Match Game.

David

Doug Eastick

May 4, 2023, 8:16:26 PM5/4/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I have rewatched some of the old match game shows, and I agree with that.

Kevin M.

May 4, 2023, 8:30:06 PM5/4/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I got to know backstage crew who worked on a lot of the shows. Drinking did occur on some of them, as well as drugs, but they sometimes taped five or more episodes a day, so regardless of day of the week, they couldn’t all get hammered or they’d have never gotten through it. And it goes without saying that Dick Clark ran sober game show studios. Well, sober-ish.

One day, the crew from The Gong Show needs to co-author the definitive tell-all behind-the-scenes book. From even the tiny fraction of the stories I heard, it’s more bizarre than any account I’ve seen shared publicly so far. Dressing rooms exploding. Naked people in the lighting grid. Wild stories about what went on in the men’s room.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Brad Beam

May 4, 2023, 11:14:39 PM5/4/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Program note: ABC will begin airing a four-part documentary (“The Game Show Show”) on Wednesday night.

https://www.thewrap.com/abc-news-studios-the-game-show-show-exclusive/

Jim Ellwanger

May 5, 2023, 12:33:58 AM5/5/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
One of the talking heads on the show is a friend of mine (Adam Nedeff, who has written some weighty, well-researched biographies about game show hosts) - the fact that he was interviewed is a good indication that it’s a somewhat serious documentary series.

Sent from my iPhone