variety : Oscars Draw 18.7 Million Viewers, Up 12% From Last Year

Steve Timko

Mar 14, 2023, 12:20:40 PM3/14/23
to TV or Not TV
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/2023-oscar-ratings-academy-awards-audience-1235550070/ - Oscars Draw 18.7 Million Viewers, Up 12% From Last Year

This bounced when I sent it last night.

Kevin M.

Mar 14, 2023, 12:37:17 PM3/14/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
How many people were tuning in just to see the host get assaulted?

On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 9:20 AM Steve Timko <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/2023-oscar-ratings-academy-awards-audience-1235550070/ - Oscars Draw 18.7 Million Viewers, Up 12% From Last Year

This bounced when I sent it last night.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Tom Wolper

Mar 14, 2023, 2:58:09 PM3/14/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I tuned in to watch a bit of it, which I haven’t done for the last 20 years at least. I thought it was well put together and moved along at a good pace. Luckily I turned it off before the Little Mermaid promo which might have changed my opinion.

M-D November

Mar 14, 2023, 3:49:40 PM3/14/23
to TVorNotTV
I don't get why people are making such hay about Disney's "Little Mermaid" promo.  From what I saw, both of the major studios turning 100 this year - Disney & Warners - were given a few minutes to do with as they saw fit.  WB ran a fairly generic "100 years" promo, but since Disney ran that play at the Super Bowl (and had a proper ad placement for that same "100 Years" commercial), they promoted TLM.  I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.

Jim Ellwanger

Mar 14, 2023, 4:14:28 PM3/14/23
to tvorNotTV Bob Jersey via
At least "The Little Mermaid" is actually a Disney film. The WB promo included clips of a fair number of films they now own the rights to, but which were not made by Warner Bros. (the most obvious example was "The Wizard of Oz").

Mark Jeffries

Mar 14, 2023, 4:20:14 PM3/14/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And I didn't see that Oscar-winning rabbit Bugs Bunny or any other Looney Tunes characters in the WB spot (which did have a promotional consideration credit, along with Disney).  I couldn't tell if they included "The Bachelor," Dr. Pimple-Popper or "MILF Manor" (when I saw the spot at the Super Bowl, there were clips from "Friends" and "Big Bang Theory").

Mark Jeffries
spotl...@gmail.com

PGage

Mar 14, 2023, 6:37:57 PM3/14/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is that both studios paid many millions of dollars for those spots. They were commercials (though Disney of course was paying itself).

Those were the worst part of the show. Ratings rebound consistent with popular films nominated for best Pic and better performance of in theater pics in general than expected in most recent season.

I think we are now pretty close to where we would expect Oscar ratings to be at this point without the pandemic, meaning current numbers more a function of the state of linear television than the movie business. There may be one more year of increase left, that depends on how much this year was pumped by Maverick and Avatar. I suspect we will see a return to downward trending ratings again next year, after two years of post pandemic gains.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Brad Beam

Mar 14, 2023, 6:39:55 PM3/14/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Kevin M.

>How many people were tuning in just to see the host get assaulted?

I’d say Matt Damon, but I still think that was him inside the “Cocaine Bear” costume.