I guess Bill Kurtis is hanging it up

Bob Jersey

Mar 14, 2023, 9:51:16 PM3/14/23
to TVorNotTV
He is in his 80s, and his show on the Decades sidechannel wasn't the big attraction there anyway, so Weigel is rebranding the netlet as "Catchy Comedy!", going for full-time laughs from classics from across the... well, you know... the new brand débuts March 27th, and here's a sampling of its daily menu, along with the continuing weekend binge, from its affiliate in Green Bay, where the NFL team has been under major scrutiny lately...

David Bruggeman

Mar 14, 2023, 10:33:46 PM3/14/23
to 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV
Kurtis has been the announcer for NPR's "Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me" since the retirement of Carl Kasell, and AFAIK, isn't planning to stop doing that any time soon.

David

Diner

Mar 15, 2023, 9:15:19 AM3/15/23
to TVorNotTV
The new brand and focus seems rather more downscale and less curated than their current schedule... although I suppose one man's "Petticoat Junction" is another man's "Full House."

Overall, it's not going to have a huge impact on their schedule, since most of Decades was comedy anyway... but sadly, this does mean the end of nightly "Dick Cavett Show" reruns. (Just last night I caught part of a 1971 pre-bout showdown between Ali and Frazier, which was truly a glimpse at a bygone era.)

I believe the only dramas on their regular schedule were "Dark Shadows" and "The Millionaire," both buried in the 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. hours. But they did often feature dramas on their weekend binges - "77 Sunset Strip" this coming weekend (including the complete "noir" final season) and "The Mod Squad" the weekend after that, just before the rebranding begins. I wonder how often we'll see dramas like that on subchannels in the future.

Tom Wolper

Mar 15, 2023, 1:37:49 PM3/15/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
One small note I saw in reading about the rebranding is that Weigel didn’t contract with Nielsen for ratings for Decades. They will be getting ratings for the new format. So I don’t know how they sold commercial time but the new format will increase their revenue.