Mini review: Miami Vice

Doug Eastick

Mar 15, 2023, 8:44:13 AM3/15/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I watched the first three episodes of season one the past couple weeks of travel.

Still great cinematography for the era.

Still great music included.

Misogynistic office roles in the police station (crocket: " can you get me a coffee, sweetie" )

Tv lighting was still pronounced. My how that changed over the next few decades.

Woke role of a cross dressing killer.

Spoiler: Modern Family father kills himself.

Wikipedia tells me that in the first few seasons , they never allowed "earth tones" (Brown, beige) on the screen.  Always blue, grey, black, white.

Diner

Mar 15, 2023, 9:29:12 AM3/15/23
to TVorNotTV
I was in college when Miami Vice was the hottest show on TV, and I was never able to get into it.
My college friend Phyllis Stark, who went on to become one of the top journalists in the world of country music, put it best at the time: "The problem with Miami Vice is that no matter how early I tune in, I feel like I missed the first fifteen minutes."

Doug Eastick

Mar 15, 2023, 9:54:13 AM3/15/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I was in high school.  A couple guys wanted, badly, to wear Sonny Crockett-style suits for prom/graduation.  So much talk... Nobody ever did.

But boy those photos , decades later, would be epic.

Kevin M.

Mar 15, 2023, 10:11:59 AM3/15/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I disliked Miami Vice but liked Crime Story, which was basically the same series in different suits. Go figure.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

PGage

Mar 15, 2023, 10:45:58 AM3/15/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I was in grad school, and to my eternal shame I did buy a Crockett style jacket and attended class and parties for a few months with the jacket sleeves pushed up over a tee shirt. In my head there was an elaborate Phil Collins drum solo playing over my entrance into every room. So grateful there were no cell phones in those days, and so no surviving photographs. Finally got a girlfriend later that year who gently but firmly took that jacket out of my rotation.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Adam Bowie

Mar 15, 2023, 11:11:00 AM3/15/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I picked up a Blu Ray set of the complete Miami Vice a few months ago, but stalled in my planned re-watch. While the lighting might be a bit basic, and the scripts not always amazing, the location still looks wonderful. I guess it made such a difference actually having a series not being shot in either LA or NY (regardless of where it was set). And then there was the music...

I was 14 when the series aired, and at my school we had to wear blazers, so the cool thing was to roll the sleeves up of them...

I also recall in later seasons that the BBC had to push the series back a bit later in the evening because it was felt that it was too violent (Slow motion sequences of people being realistically shot).

Sometime around 1985 I first visited the US, and I did a studio tour of NBC in Rockefeller Plaza (I think we may have gone onto the SNL stage, but that meant precisely nothing to me). I still have my Miami Vice baseball cap picked up in the gift shop. And somehow, an NBC mug also still survives nearly 40 years later!

Adam