Re: [TV orNotTV] Colbert showrunner off to CNN

Mark Jeffries

Feb 26, 2022, 12:56:13 PM2/26/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
This would be the opportunity for Colbert to make changes that aren't working--or do they really think those cold opens are working?  For the most part, the audience response to them is not huge (and I'm assuming they're not sweetening, especially since I think I'm pretty good at telling what's real and what's canned, even if they aren't using Charley Douglass' loops anymore).

Mark Jeffries
spotl...@gmail.com

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 10:10 AM 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I kid you not... Chris Licht is replacing Doogie Zucker as head of news (tho not sports), altho it won't be immediate.

Holy f**king cow.

Kevin M.

Feb 26, 2022, 12:59:00 PM2/26/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Christ Licht, the Faye Dunaway of 2022. Cut to Don Lemon in a raincoat screaming that he’s mad as Hell…

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 8:10 AM 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I kid you not... Chris Licht is replacing Doogie Zucker as head of news (tho not sports), altho it won't be immediate.

Holy f**king cow.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

PGage

Feb 26, 2022, 2:17:49 PM2/26/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Of course, as noted on the original Puck News piece that broke this story, it is Licht’s role in creating the odious monster that is Morning Joe that is probably the biggest reason he was chosen for the CNN gig. The good news for CNN is that it is literally impossible for him to create a bigger piece of shit at CNN than Joe, so they should be relatively safe (though yes, Morning Joe has a big footprint).

Look for Jen Psaki to get a show on CNN when she is tired of owning the asses of Fox News reporters in the White House briefing room.

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 at 8:10 AM 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I kid you not... Chris Licht is replacing Doogie Zucker as head of news (tho not sports), altho it won't be immediate.

Holy f**king cow.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

David Bruggeman

Feb 26, 2022, 2:52:22 PM2/26/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Maybe this means Colbert won't have on interviews with journalists/talking heads so damn much.  He does a horrible impression of the Sunday shows (not that there should be impressions of them).

As for the cold opens, they need to not pilfer from the monologue.  But I'm not holding my breath for a change unless and until Brian Stack leaves.

David

Mark Jeffries

Feb 26, 2022, 3:28:08 PM2/26/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
But he's too nice a guy to bring on reality show people and either mock or embarass them (like Dave did with the "Survivor"/"Big Brother" castoffs).  That or have on the second or third billed actor from a CBS or Paramount+ show.

Mark Jeffries
spotl...@gmail.com

Dave Sikula

Feb 27, 2022, 4:38:01 AM2/27/22
to TVorNotTV
I generally either mute or FF through the cold opens (depends on if I'm watching live or delayed). They wouldn't be so egregious if a) they were funny (which they never will be while Stack is there) or b) they didn't repeat material in the monologue.

There are myriad problems with TLS, from the cold opening to the cutesy titles in the intro to the pre-tapes (both the bands and the Friday shows; I assume they tape those on Thursdays, but the monologue is occasionally timely enough to make me wonder just when it was done). The biggest ones, though, are the writing generally (I can't stand the minutes-long intros to the "Meanwhile" segment, though Colbert seems to love them) and Colbert's weakness as an interviewer: he constantly interrupts, steps on the guest's lines, and gets in the way. On Friday's show, Sam Waterston may have the best stories in the world, but he came off as an absolute stiff because Colbert had no idea of how to deal with him.

I don't mind the current events panels, since he generally defers to the guests, but the others are generally a mess. The show isn't as much of the train wreck Noah has turned TDS into, but it's not that much better.

--Dave Sikula

PGage

Feb 27, 2022, 9:40:39 AM2/27/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I love Colbert, and in the past this is where I would try to defend him and his show, but the truth is that, after taking a complete break during then end of the Trump administration, I tried to get back into regular watching in January of 2021, and finally gave up. For the last year I watch occasional segments, either online or from my YouTubeTV DVR, but never a complete show.

From this perspective I most appreciate his current events interviews (his three segments recently with Julia Ioffe we’re marvelous; he softened the hard edge she has on news shows, and helped her five a simple but not dumbed down analysis of what is going on with Putin and Ukraine) and he still has moments of gold in his monologues.

Colbert’s intrusive interviewing style with entertainers is most disappointing and puzzling to me. On TCR it fit in with his persona, and was often hilarious. But in his genuine voice it often just seems rude or tin eared. This last is what is puzzling for a guy who so famously comes from Improv, with their emphasis on graciously making room for scene partners and following their lead.

Mark Jeffries

Feb 27, 2022, 3:42:02 PM2/27/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The news-related guests to me are what gives Colbert the difference from the other shows against him on OTA television.  Otherwise, I would really like to see them rethink the show (although they won't because they're still on top).

Even with the news-related guests, I would like to see them treated differently, with the guests already out when we come out of the break, with Colbert doing a "joining us now" intro.  No applause, no walkout, no Jon Batiste playing the same music he played 30 seconds ago over the standing ovation coming out of the break (damn you, Arsenio Hall).  If there's a second or third segment, the fade-in out of the break has no applause, music or logo, but "we're talking to..."

With musical guests, they've got to stop making their bookings based on playlist adds at WFUV.  And one main rule--THEY MUST BE LIVE IN-STUDIO.  NO MORE VIDEOS.  It would be even better if they reinstated the Letterman rule that unless they're rock and roll bands, they must have the house band accompany them.  Why doesn't Batiste have any say over musical guests, like I assume Paul did?  Are they afraid they'd have nothing but jazz players?  (Of course, if it was Colbert's choice, it would be nothing but musical theater performers--not that I would be complaining, but...)

And I'm really wondering if Jon is becoming restless--the steady paycheck is greatly appreciated, but sooner or later he has to decide whether he really wants to spend another five years being the butt-kissing sidekick to Stephen Colbert at the expense of his own music.

Mark Jeffries
spotl...@gmail.com

Jon Delfin

Feb 27, 2022, 4:14:43 PM2/27/22
to tvornottv
On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 3:42 PM Mark Jeffries <spotl...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

And I'm really wondering if Jon is becoming restless--the steady paycheck is greatly appreciated, but sooner or later he has to decide whether he really wants to spend another five years being the butt-kissing sidekick to Stephen Colbert at the expense of his own music.

presumably he's got a contract, and that contract has an end date, and perhaps that end date is seven years from when they started, so ending in September 2022?

David Bruggeman

Feb 27, 2022, 4:47:40 PM2/27/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Batiste has been, even without whatever responsibilities he has on the show, ridiculously productive in other musical projects.  He's released *10* albums since being involved with the show, only one of them a project connected to the show.

Now, he could be getting tired of his sidekick duties.  But I don't think he believes the show stifles his musical creativity.

It's also worth considering what lingering impact remains from the pandemic with respect to live musicians.  Yes, shows are back, but I doubt live gigs are back to where they were in March 2020.

Besides, if The Roots can put up with Jimmy Fallon for the last 13 years, Jon Batiste can deal with Stephen for a bit longer.

David

Brad Beam

Feb 27, 2022, 4:48:44 PM2/27/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Jeffries

>And I'm really wondering if Jon is becoming restless--the steady paycheck is greatly appreciated, but sooner or later he has to decide whether he really wants to spend another five years being the butt-kissing sidekick to Stephen Colbert at the expense of his own music.

The Roots have been tied to East Coast Jimmy Inc for almost 13 years now. Surely they’re given outs every so often….

_   _

|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV

|_>|_>  http://www.facebook.com/74bmw

JW

Feb 28, 2022, 6:38:23 AM2/28/22
to tvornottv
> I love Colbert, and in the past this is where I would try to defend him and
> his show, but the truth is that, after taking a complete break during then
> end of the Trump administration, I tried to get back into regular watching
> in January of 2021, and finally gave up.

During the Trump administration, Colbert's righteous indignation was helpful when we were getting two new unbelievable things every day. Even then, though, there were parts of the monologue where the writing and humor were questionable. And now, when things are slightly calmer, I've found that I prefer Kimmel's monologue. If either of them has a guest I want to watch, that's fine; if not, there's always Perry Mason.(I'm happy to ignore whatever it is that Fallon's doing.)

At 12:30, Meyers' pseudo-Update that passes for a monologue works well enough, and now they've found a way to add digressions to A Closer Look that are silly enough to work. If there's a guest I want to see, I'll watch; if not, I can turn it off without the sense I'm missing anything. I saw a bit of the Late Late Show recently, and they still bring out all the non-musical guests together and then rotate questions; I hoped that they'd figured out that if there's no synergy between the guests, they're better off interviewing one guest at a time. Corden and Fallon still compete at how much love they can profess for their guests' work.

Bob Jersey

Feb 28, 2022, 8:57:02 AM2/28/22
to TVorNotTV
And so have the folks in Stay Human... there've been horn players filling in for Jon Lampley and/or Louis Fouché, including at least one alumnus... normally-guitarist Louis Cato (credited as music producer just in the last few months) filled in for drummer "Cowboy" Joe Saylor... and most recently eye-candy percussionist Nêgah Santos was away, without any comment from Jon nor Steve...    B

Brad Beam, to Mark Jeffries, Feb 27th:

Steve Timko

Mar 1, 2022, 4:19:15 AM3/1/22
to TV or Not TV
Colbert tells Licht he loves him.

PGage

Mar 1, 2022, 7:54:08 AM3/1/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I thought that was nice. And what Colbert said about Lichtenstein illustrates what they hope he will do at CNN. His reputation is for getting along with supporting and fluffing the talent, while also managing the operation efficiently so they can shine.

Bob Jersey

Mar 2, 2022, 2:45:08 PM3/2/22
to TVorNotTV
Variety noted, f'rinstance, the turnover at Fallon Tonight vs. the stability of Licht at TLS... the only name they would toss out there for a possible successor, other than Steverino himself, was Denise Rehrig, whose résumé includes "GMA" and CNBC.   https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/late-show-chris-licht-producer-succession-cbs-1235192149/ (link)     B

PGage, to Steve Timko, moi, and Brad Beam, Mar 1st:
I thought that was nice. And what Colbert said about Lichtenstein illustrates what they hope he will do at CNN. His reputation is for getting along with supporting and fluffing the talent, while also managing the operation efficiently so they can shine.

Kevin M.

Mar 2, 2022, 8:14:52 PM3/2/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Turnover isn’t always bad. Throughout his run, Kimmel has made it a habit of rotating different directors and production types on his show. People like Bobcat Goldthwait and the late Bob “Super Dave” Einstein both took turns directing. Talk shows can and will slip into a routine. If everyone likes the routine, that’s great, but if you’re hemorrhaging audience, a change in leadership can be beneficial.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

daves...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2022, 8:29:15 PM3/2/22
to TVorNotTV
I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, the show really needs someone to come in and re-think everything, from the cold open to the musical guests. On the other hand, the last time I looked, Colbert was still way ahead in the ratings, so someone must be enjoying it -- or, at least, enjoying it more than the alternatives. (Though if that alternative is Fallon, it's not much of competition.)

--Dave Sikula

Bob Jersey

Apr 6, 2022, 6:50:36 PM4/6/22
to TVorNotTV
220404opus-moreschi-ah-theenk.jpg

The new showrunner is in place, and ah theenk it's Opus Moreschi, just going from his hairline... here's @heyitsopus' avatar, for comparison...

opus-moreschi[twtr-heyitsopus].jpg     B

Dave Sikula, to moi, March 2nd:

Doug Eastick

Apr 8, 2022, 8:19:37 AM4/8/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
For those of that have seen photos of Kevin M, we all know those photos of the new showrunner are Kevin M.    Congrats to Kevin on getting back into the biz.

:-)

Bob Jersey

Apr 8, 2022, 8:58:03 AM4/8/22
to TVorNotTV
Suddenly relocating to NYC would be news to us, and to him.     B

Doug Eastick, to moi, April 8th:

Kevin M.

Apr 8, 2022, 9:49:04 AM4/8/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com