Funding GTK+-3 client

Cédric Krier

Jun 21, 2016, 1:10:10 PM6/21/16
to Tryton
Hi,

As you may know GTK+-2 is at its EOL and the future is GTK+-3.
You can find the release history at [1].
In addition to just having a more maintained library, the other
advantages are:

- GTK+-3 has many new features like:

- CSS
- HTML5 backend
- Wayland support
- new widgets like: GtkStack, GtkHeaderBar, GtkListBox,
GtkPopover etc.
- gesture/multi-touch

- Python3 suppport (gtk+-2 has no binding for Python3)

We have already started the work on issue5387 [2] but we see that it is
not going fast enough to catch with the trunk development.
So B2CK would like to propose a crowd funding for this important
maintenance task. We have estimated the cost at 5000€.

The plan is to add the support in two steps:

- for 4.2:

- add support of GTK+-3 with compatibility with GTK+-2
- provide experimental build on GTK+-3 for Windows and MacOS

- for 4.4:

- remove support of GTK+-2
- start to add GTK+-3 only features

We would like to see if there is enough interest in the community to
start the crowd funding campaign.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK%2B#Releases
[2] https://bugs.tryton.org/issue5387
--
Cédric Krier - B2CK SPRL
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com

Diego Abad

Jun 21, 2016, 3:35:04 PM6/21/16
to tryton

+1 for support GTK-3... it would also be good that the community build a native client on Kivy,
through a  crowd funding campaign, to add native support to Android and IOS.

Cédric Krier

Jun 21, 2016, 6:05:05 PM6/21/16
to tryton
On 2016-06-21 12:01, Diego Abad wrote:
> it would also be good that the community build a
> native client on Kivy,
> through a crowd funding campaign, to add native support to Android and IOS.

sao is already available and it works on both platform.

Christophe (net)

Jun 22, 2016, 1:37:59 AM6/22/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
Le 21/06/2016 à 19:08, Cédric Krier a écrit :
> We would like to see if there is enough interest in the community to
> start the crowd funding campaign.

+1

--
Christophe
http://adiczion.com

Maxime Richez

Jun 22, 2016, 3:49:59 AM6/22/16
to tryton
+1

Thierry Bruyere

Jun 22, 2016, 8:10:03 AM6/22/16
to tryton
+1

Le mercredi 22 juin 2016 09:49:59 UTC+2, Maxime Richez a écrit :
+1

Armand Mpassy-Nzoumba

Jun 22, 2016, 8:33:47 AM6/22/16
to try...@googlegroups.com

> On 21 Jun 2016, at 18:08, Cédric Krier <cedric...@b2ck.com> wrote:
>
> We would like to see if there is enough interest in the community to
> start the crowd funding campaign.

+1
Fully supported. A Million Thanks for your leadership.
Kind regards
Armand

Korbinian Preisler

Jun 22, 2016, 10:48:16 AM6/22/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 21.06.2016 19:08, Cédric Krier wrote:
Hi,

As you may know GTK+-2 is at its EOL and the future is GTK+-3.
We have already started the work on issue5387 [2] but we see that it is
not going fast enough to catch with the trunk development.
So B2CK would like to propose a crowd funding for this important
maintenance task. We have estimated the cost at 5000€.

We would like to see if there is enough interest in the community to
start the crowd funding campaign.

I agree that its time to move to gtk+3 and we will support a campaign.

--
___________________________________
virtual things

Windeckstr. 77