New Tryton installation

Eric Magray

Nov 29, 2016, 3:50:03 AM11/29/16
to tryton
Hello Tryton users and developers!

I am currently attempting to install Tryton and am having some issues, mostly because I am learning as I go.

I have a fresh Debian 8 domU which will be specifically for Tryton. I am not proficient in system administration so I've been getting by just following tutorials online.

So far, I have attempted to install Tryton a few times. Ideally, I would like Tryton 4.2 in a Python 3.4 virtual environment with the latest stable Postgresql for the database. Aside from setting up my ssh and iptables, I would be starting with a clean Debian 8 install. Each time I fail to install Tryton, I get to a point where I just wipe the domU and create a new one.

Can anyone provide a step-by-step for setting up Tryton on a fresh install of Debian? The docs seem to be incomplete, leaving a novice such as myself to venture off and attempt setting up Postgres and virtual environments in a way that seemingly leads to warnings and errors.

I am very interested in learning Python and programming in general, but never put much time into it because there was no need. Now I want to implement Tryton in my business because I see the potential. Learning to write modules for Tryton will be well worth the effort once implemented. At this point though I just want to get it up and running correctly, but still have set it up myself so I can understand how to set it up properly.

Any help is much appreciated!

-Eric

Nicolas Évrard

Nov 29, 2016, 4:47:16 AM11/29/16
to tryton
* Eric Magray [2016-11-29 06:43 +0100]:
>Hello Tryton users and developers!

Hello Eric,

>I am currently attempting to install Tryton and am having some
>issues, mostly because I am learning as I go.
>
>I have a fresh Debian 8 domU which will be specifically for Tryton. I
>am not proficient in system administration so I've been getting by
>just following tutorials online.
>
>So far, I have attempted to install Tryton a few times. Ideally, I
>would like Tryton 4.2 in a Python 3.4 virtual environment with the
>latest stable Postgresql for the database. Aside from setting up my
>ssh and iptables, I would be starting with a clean Debian 8 install.
>Each time I fail to install Tryton, I get to a point where I just
>wipe the domU and create a new one.
>
>Can anyone provide a step-by-step for setting up Tryton on a fresh
>install of Debian? The docs seem to be incomplete, leaving a novice
>such as myself to venture off and attempt setting up Postgres and
>virtual environments in a way that seemingly leads to warnings and
>errors.

I installed quite recently Tryton on a debian 8.6 (don't know its
name).

Basically what I do is the following:

- install python
- install postgresql
- install psycopg (package: python-psycopg2)
- install lxml (package: python-lxml)

Then as the user I intend to run tryton as I install everything from
pip in the user directory (with the --user switch)[1].

Then it should just run and you can follow the documentation from
http://doc.tryton.org/4.2/trytond/doc/index.html#first-steps

But of course you could also just install the trytond packages (and
probably some others) from the debian distribution. But they won't be
the brand new 4.2 release of course. And I must confess I don't know
at all how they are set up (but Matthias might help you).

>I am very interested in learning Python and programming in general,
>but never put much time into it because there was no need. Now I want
>to implement Tryton in my business because I see the potential.
>Learning to write modules for Tryton will be well worth the effort
>once implemented. At this point though I just want to get it up and
>running correctly, but still have set it up myself so I can
>understand how to set it up properly.

[1]: Note that you might prefer using virtual environment, it is
a good practice. You should definitively learn and use them if
you intend to do python programming.
https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/stable/

--
Nicolas Évrard - B2CK SPRL
E-mail/Jabber: nicolas...@b2ck.com

Eric Magray

Nov 29, 2016, 2:15:04 PM11/29/16
to tryton
Thank you Nicolas! I will give that a try.

Last night I nearly had it setup. I was able to successfully create a virtualenv (venv from python 3.4) and install trytond, though afterwards I realized the trytond_modules are not supported in python 3.x. Should I create a second virtualenv with python 2.7 to install the modules there or would it be best to remove the first virtualenv and create a new one where trytond and its modules operate in a python 2.7 environment?

Cédric Krier

Nov 29, 2016, 7:20:04 PM11/29/16
to tryton
On 2016-11-29 10:34, Eric Magray wrote:
> Thank you Nicolas! I will give that a try.
>
> Last night I nearly had it setup. I was able to successfully create a
> virtualenv (venv from python 3.4) and install trytond, though afterwards I
> realized the trytond_modules are not supported in python 3.x.

Almost all modules work under Python3 but they need to be actually
installed (to have 2to3 running).

PS: Please do not top-post on this mailing list, see
https://groups.tryton.org/netiquette

--
Cédric Krier - B2CK SPRL
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com

Eric Magray

Nov 29, 2016, 7:55:05 PM11/29/16
to tryton

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 4:20:04 PM UTC-8, Cédric Krier wrote:

Almost all modules work under Python3 but they need to be actually
installed (to have 2to3 running).

PS: Please do not top-post on this mailing list, see
https://groups.tryton.org/netiquette

--
Cédric Krier - B2CK SPRL
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com
Tel: +32 472 54 46 59
Website: http://www.b2ck.com/

Ok, I was getting an error when attempting to install the modules (configparser), so I was left with no modules install. Is there a way to install with pip or will I have to install the modules another way to use python3?

And thank you. I am new to Google Groups so please forgive my ignorance.

Sergi Almacellas Abellana

Nov 30, 2016, 3:14:38 AM11/30/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
El 30/11/16 a les 01:45, Eric Magray ha escrit:

> Ok, I was getting an error when attempting to install the modules
> (configparser), so I was left with no modules install. Is there a way to
> install with pip or will I have to install the modules another way to
> use python3?
You can install with pip from pypi and it will download the python3
version.

All the modules are prefixed with the `trytond_` keyword, so for example
for installing the sale module you should install the `trytond_sale`
package.

--
Sergi Almacellas Abellana
www.koolpi.com

Eric Magray

Dec 4, 2016, 8:20:25 PM12/4/16
to tryton

You can install with pip from pypi and it will download the python3
version.

All the modules are prefixed with the `trytond_` keyword, so for example
for installing the sale module you should install the `trytond_sale`
package.

Thank you! When I first tried installing them I believe it was before the python3 versions were available. I just happened to be attempting my setup the day 4.2 was released. Now I see the python3 versions are up and ready for download =)