How to backup and restore the database using Tryton 4.2?

Wojtek Warczakowski

Nov 29, 2016, 7:10:05 PM11/29/16
to tryton
Hello guys.

As I see the newest Tryton client doesn't have a feature that allow to make a backup of database and then restore it. Does it mean that it is no longer possible to backup data using Tryton?

Sergi Almacellas Abellana

Nov 30, 2016, 3:12:30 AM11/30/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
El 29/11/16 a les 21:38, Wojtek Warczakowski ha escrit:
Yes, but you can still take backups using the standard tools of your
database. For example for postgresql you can use pg_dump:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/backup-dump.html

Sergi Almacellas Abellana
www.koolpi.com
Twitter: @pokoli_srk

Wojtek Warczakowski

Nov 30, 2016, 4:05:05 AM11/30/16
to tryton
I know it, but what was the reason to remove the feature? In my opinion it was very useful.

Sergi Almacellas Abellana

Nov 30, 2016, 4:09:22 AM11/30/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
El 30/11/16 a les 09:30, Wojtek Warczakowski ha escrit:
> I know it, but what was the reason to remove the feature? In my opinion
> it was very useful.
But it was not very secure as if somebody breaks your admin password can
copy (and also drop) all your databases in the server.

Dominique Chabord

Nov 30, 2016, 4:35:50 AM11/30/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
> I know it, but what was the reason to remove the feature? In my opinion it
> was very useful.

It was a security problem as it by-passed security administration of
the server and spreaded copies of the databases over unsafe PCs.
SavingRestoring a database on the server is not really difficult, and
should be mastered by anyone who plans to self-host his business data.
Else it is better to host them outside.

For free hosted services of http://sisalp.com, for example, I serve a
web administration panel which lets you save and restore your
databases the right way, with the right level of security

Wojtek Warczakowski

Nov 30, 2016, 5:15:03 PM11/30/16
to tryton
This makes sense. Thanks for explanation

--
Wojtek

Axel Braun

Dec 1, 2016, 2:25:28 PM12/1/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2016, 10:09:19 CET schrieb Sergi Almacellas
Abellana:
> El 30/11/16 a les 09:30, Wojtek Warczakowski ha escrit:
> > I know it, but what was the reason to remove the feature? In my opinion
> > it was very useful.
>
> But it was not very secure as if somebody breaks your admin password can
> copy (and also drop) all your databases in the server.

It would be really cool if this option (create DB from frontend) is
configurable in trytond.conf. It is quite convenient for sandpits, and could be
disabled for production installations.

Cheers
Axel