Financial campaign for Tryton task queue and notification

Cédric Krier

Feb 15, 2018, 9:25:07 AM2/15/18
to Tryton
Hello,

B2CK is launching a financial campaign for two large and coupled
features for Tryton:

* Task queue: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/transactional-queue/461

* Notification: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/real-time-notification/224

Those two features are needed to improve the user experience with
reduced response time and real time notification. It will allow to speed
up some processes by doing them asynchronously (like processing sales)
and also spread on multiple processes the execution of periodic tasks.

You can help us reach the goal at https://igg.me/at/tryton-task-queue-notification/x/9036966

Cédric Krier - B2CK SPRL
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com
Tel: +32 472 54 46 59
Website: http://www.b2ck.com/

Cédric Krier

Mar 14, 2018, 5:20:02 PM3/14/18
to Tryton
Hi,

On 2018-02-15 15:24, Cédric Krier wrote:
> B2CK is launching a financial campaign for two large and coupled
> features for Tryton:
>
> * Task queue: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/transactional-queue/461
>
> * Notification: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/real-time-notification/224
>
> Those two features are needed to improve the user experience with
> reduced response time and real time notification. It will allow to speed
> up some processes by doing them asynchronously (like processing sales)
> and also spread on multiple processes the execution of periodic tasks.
>
> You can help us reach the goal at https://igg.me/at/tryton-task-queue-notification/x/9036966

We received some concerns about the "pluggability" of other queue
engines for the transactional queue.
Of course, it will be developed like other similar tools in Tryton with
in mind the modularity and extensibility. So like the Cache, Session or
LoginAttempt, it will be possible to plug another queue engine when
needed. The only difficulty will be to make it transactional so it will
probably required a DataManager for the 2-phase commit but it should be
doable for many systems.

I hope this remove doubts. And do not hesitate to ask questions if you
have other doubts.

Cédric Krier

Apr 4, 2018, 5:25:06 PM4/4/18
to Tryton
Hi,

On 2018-02-15 15:24, Cédric Krier wrote:
> B2CK is launching a financial campaign for two large and coupled
> features for Tryton:
>
> * Task queue: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/transactional-queue/461
>
> * Notification: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/real-time-notification/224
>
> Those two features are needed to improve the user experience with
> reduced response time and real time notification. It will allow to speed
> up some processes by doing them asynchronously (like processing sales)
> and also spread on multiple processes the execution of periodic tasks.
>
> You can help us reach the goal at https://igg.me/at/tryton-task-queue-notification/x/9036966

There are only 12 days left to fund the campaign. We are close but still
need a boost: https://igg.me/at/tryton-task-queue-notification/x/9036966

Cédric Krier

Apr 9, 2018, 9:25:08 AM4/9/18
to Tryton
Hi,

On 2018-02-15 15:24, Cédric Krier wrote:
> B2CK is launching a financial campaign for two large and coupled
> features for Tryton:
>
> * Task queue: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/transactional-queue/461
>
> * Notification: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/real-time-notification/224
>
> Those two features are needed to improve the user experience with
> reduced response time and real time notification. It will allow to speed
> up some processes by doing them asynchronously (like processing sales)
> and also spread on multiple processes the execution of periodic tasks.
>
> You can help us reach the goal at https://igg.me/at/tryton-task-queue-notification/x/9036966

The campaign ends in 1 week but looking at the progression rate, it does
not seem we will succeed. This makes us quite disappointed at B2CK as we
were relying on this revenue for 2018.

B2CK spent more than 10% of its revenue to support and maintain Tryton.
This work include: preparing releases, fixing reported bugs, cleaning
code, upgrading new dependencies, publishing news, answering questions
etc.

But without this revenue for 2018, we will have to reduce drastically
our free contribution and focus only on our paying customers.

For the record, B2CK business model has always aimed to be a second
level support for other IT companies (even if we do some
implementations). Our offer is divided into two kind of services:
development packs and support contracts.
The support contract goal is to finance the maintenance tasks that we
perform on Tryton. But unfortunately, we fail to sale any of those
insurance contracts. We sale only development packs.
To workaround this issue, we used to make crowd-funding on important
maintenance task (ex: web client, GTK+-3). This is not a perfect
solution but for now it worked as it allowed us to keep pushing the
development.

So if you value the B2CK's work on Tryton and want to see it continue,
now is the time to contribute to the campaign:

Sergi Almacellas Abellana

Apr 13, 2018, 11:54:48 AM4/13/18
to try...@googlegroups.com
El 09/04/18 a les 15:20, Cédric Krier ha escrit:
> B2CK spent more than 10% of its revenue to support and maintain Tryton.
> This work include: preparing releases, fixing reported bugs, cleaning
> code, upgrading new dependencies, publishing news, answering questions
> etc.

For the release may be can do as other projects an split the work
between several companies. For example in the kubernetes project a
"Release Leader" (not sure if this is the right term) is elected for the
next release and this person is responsible for all the work related to
the next release.

What do you think?

--
Sergi Almacellas Abellana
www.koolpi.com

Cédric Krier

Apr 13, 2018, 12:45:05 PM4/13/18
to try...@googlegroups.com
On 2018-04-13 17:54, Sergi Almacellas Abellana wrote:
> El 09/04/18 a les 15:20, Cédric Krier ha escrit:
> > B2CK spent more than 10% of its revenue to support and maintain Tryton.
> > This work include: preparing releases, fixing reported bugs, cleaning
> > code, upgrading new dependencies, publishing news, answering questions
> > etc.
>
> For the release may be can do as other projects an split the work
> between several companies. For example in the kubernetes project a
> "Release Leader" (not sure if this is the right term) is elected for the
> next release and this person is responsible for all the work related to
> the next release.
>
> What do you think?

Doing the actual release is not much time consuming as I have wrote
scripts to automate it. But it is all the related works like writing a
new, setup the demo server, update the documentation, prepare the
translations etc. that is time consuming. And I do not think it is fair
to delegate all the tasks to a single "release leader". Those tasks
should be divided between some people that can be trusted to do the job.

Parviz HomayunNezhad

Apr 13, 2018, 12:50:07 PM4/13/18
to try...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dear kopoli,
Thanks for your excellent work,
if you tell me:
In this model of strategy
,
What does Tryton miss?
And what does it get?

Maybe I can better share my thoughts about it,

Cédric Krier

Apr 16, 2018, 3:20:06 AM4/16/18
to Tryton
This is the last day to make it happens:

On 2018-04-09 15:20, Cédric Krier wrote:
> So if you value the B2CK's work on Tryton and want to see it continue,
> now is the time to contribute to the campaign:
> https://igg.me/at/tryton-task-queue-notification/x/9036966

Sergi Almacellas Abellana

Apr 16, 2018, 4:38:55 AM4/16/18
to try...@googlegroups.com
El 13/04/18 a les 18:40, Cédric Krier ha escrit:
So we should have a list of tasks to do and a list of people to divide
the job on. I think it will be great to ask for help before the feature
freeze so others can offer themselves to help and we can divide the work
for each release.

Parviz HomayunNezhad

Apr 16, 2018, 5:45:06 AM4/16/18
to try...@googlegroups.com
> So we should have a list of tasks to do and a list of people to divide
> the job on. I think it will be great to ask for help before the feature
> freeze so others can offer themselves to help and we can divide the work
> for each release.

This is the point I like
,
The best way is to strengthen the main leader
By accepting the obligation to perform duty
The community of developers should have more effort in sharing tasks.
Knights in the past said:
One for everyone
All for one ....

Cédric Krier

Apr 16, 2018, 7:20:04 AM4/16/18
to try...@googlegroups.com
I do not think it is the way to go. If on every release we have to make
such organisation it will be a huge waste of time, without speaking
about the learning curve.

What we need a people ready to commit to some tasks on the long term (at
least 3 years) and being reliable. Past experiences showed that such
people are really difficult to find. For example, the number of dead
translations (most of them had received only work on the first 3
months). Or the tryton-communication groups which produced nothing. Or
https://github.com/tryton/tryton-documentation

The hard part is to judge the reliability. This can happen only on the
long term. So people who want to do stuffs should start by small but
continuous contribution before moving to more critical tasks.
And we have a lot of small task registered in https://bugs.tryton.org/
so it is just a matter for example to fix one every week.

Cédric Krier

Apr 17, 2018, 5:05:04 PM4/17/18
to Tryton
Hi,

On 2018-02-15 15:24, Cédric Krier wrote:
> B2CK is launching a financial campaign for two large and coupled
> features for Tryton:
>
> * Task queue: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/transactional-queue/461
>
> * Notification: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/real-time-notification/224
>
> Those two features are needed to improve the user experience with
> reduced response time and real time notification. It will allow to speed
> up some processes by doing them asynchronously (like processing sales)
> and also spread on multiple processes the execution of periodic tasks.
>
> You can help us reach the goal at https://igg.me/at/tryton-task-queue-notification/x/9036966

We have been funded. Thanks to all contributors.
We will start working on it very soon.