Get a second mac mini

Cédric Krier

Mar 3, 2018, 5:53:52 AM3/3/18
to Tryton
Hi,

issue7182 [1] shows that our support for macOS bundle is not optimal.

Ideally, we would need to have 3 machines as it seems it is the number
of version supported by Apple.
But I think we can have a pretty good support with only 2 machines.
The first one will be keep one release behind and used to build the
bundle. The second one will be kept up to date and used to test the
bundle against the new version.

So this is a request to buy a second machine by the Foundation.

Otherwise, we could try to update macOS lately about 1 year after the
release. But without being able to test the build on new version.

Or last option is to keep up to date for each build and take the risk to
make non backward compatible App.

[1] https://bugs.tryton.org/issue7182

--
Cédric Krier - B2CK SPRL
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com

dieter.p...@virginweb.de

Mar 4, 2018, 3:55:07 PM3/4/18
to tryton-dev
Dear Cédric,
I hope this is the right place to answer.

There multiple way to solve your challenge without an additional mac hardware:

1. If your internal drive has sufficient free space you can have more than one installation on it.
If you have just one partition you need to shrink that one and add one or two new partitions.
On each you can install a different version of OSX an boot your Mac from that.

2. You can just use an external hard disk with multiple partitions and OSX installations to boot from that.

I'm willing to assist you on that, if you wish.

In order to help you I need to understand your current configuration.
Which HW to you have and what is the size of your current hard disc?
Do you have a spare disc (internal or external) that you can use for extra partitions?
Furthermore you need to have an installation image of the older OSX versions.
Do you plan to support 10.11.x and 10.12.x (beside 10.13) or just 10.12?

With best regards
Dieter Plassmann

Cédric Krier

Mar 5, 2018, 4:35:06 AM3/5/18
to tryton-dev
On 2018-03-04 10:17, dieter.p...@virginweb.de wrote:
> There multiple way to solve your challenge without an additional mac hardware:
>
> 1. If your internal drive has sufficient free space you can have more than one installation on it.
> If you have just one partition you need to shrink that one and add one or two new partitions.
> On each you can install a different version of OSX an boot your Mac from that.
>
> 2. You can just use an external hard disk with multiple partitions and OSX installations to boot from that.

But this requires to have access to the hardware to switch from one to
the other. It will be preferable that any Tryton developer can work on
them remotely via SSH and/or VNC.

> In order to help you I need to understand your current configuration.
> Which HW to you have and what is the size of your current hard disc?

We have a mac Mini with 465Gi.

> Do you have a spare disc (internal or external) that you can use for extra partitions?

No.

> Furthermore you need to have an installation image of the older OSX versions.

I have none. The mac Mini came with macOS pre-installed.

> Do you plan to support 10.11.x and 10.12.x (beside 10.13) or just 10.12?

I think we should first target to support only the two last versions.

dieter.p...@virginweb.de

Mar 5, 2018, 6:50:07 PM3/5/18
to tryton-dev
Dear Cédric,

1. Switching via VNC / SSH
you can switch between the different OSX version / partitions by rebooting the machine.
In order to do so you access via VNC and select System Preferences.
There you select “startup disk”.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202796
(there is also a way to do this via ssh: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-change-the-mac-startup-disk-from-the-command-line)

After the selection of the startup disk you have to reboot the machine, which is then coming up with the selected OSX version.

2. Resizing the internal disk
Your internal disk seems to be 500GB with 465GB available.
I assume you just have one partition right now.
You can resize (also shrink) the last partition of a volume using disk utility from Apple.
https://www.imore.com/how-partition-your-mac
Of course I recommend to make a backup before, which you should have anyway.
However, it works without loosing data. I have done it.

A minimum installation of OSX needs 16GB, but recommended is 32 GB.
Provided that you need space for the development tools as well I would suggest 128GB for a partion.

Thus, reduce the existing partition by 256 GB with disk utility and create two new partitions with 128 GB each. Gives you the option to go for OS 10.14 on the second partition as this gets available.

3. Installing additional OSX versions
If you want to follow this root and have performed the above step, please contact me again.
Perhaps, we can find a way how to access the older OSX version you need for installation.

With best regards
Dieter

Cédric Krier

Mar 6, 2018, 4:05:06 AM3/6/18
to tryton-dev
Thanks but this is still not very remote developer friendly (and we will
need to give root access). But also, I'm a bit worry to make disk
manipulation on a machine for which I have no backup nor installation
disk.

Any way, I will keep this in mind if the Foundation does not provide a
second host.

dieter.p...@virginweb.de

Mar 6, 2018, 11:05:10 AM3/6/18
to tryton-dev
Dear Cédric,
an other option is to use virtualbox. This I haven't tried myself with OSX, but I could do some research how to do it. This works also on Windows or Linux as host system.

Another good solution for development of software would be Proxmox that uses KVM and LXC for virtualisation.
There you can have multiple Windows, OSX as client that you access via a browser based VNC and Linux server version of Tryton. Again OSX I would need to figure out.

From all you write proxmox is probably the most flexible solution to allow diverse developers access to the various client and server versions remotely.

With best regards
Dieter

Sergi Almacellas Abellana

Mar 15, 2018, 10:39:54 AM3/15/18
to tryton-dev
El dissabte, 3 març de 2018 11:53:52 UTC+1, Cédric Krier va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> issue7182 [1] shows that our support for macOS bundle is not optimal.
>
> Ideally, we would need to have 3 machines as it seems it is the number
> of version supported by Apple.
> But I think we can have a pretty good support with only 2 machines.
> The first one will be keep one release behind and used to build the
> bundle. The second one will be kept up to date and used to test the
> bundle against the new version.
>
> So this is a request to buy a second machine by the Foundation.

The foundation has published it's budget [1], which includes the purchase a new Mac Mini.

[1] http://www.tryton.org/posts/foundation-budget-2018.html