Tourist Police arrest illegal Thai tour guides

Khaing Oo Swe

May 31, 2013, 7:08:45 PM5/31/13
to travelmyanmar

Tourist Police arrest illegal Thai tour guides

The Thai nationals did not have the proper certification to be working as tour guides in Phuket. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

 The Thai nationals did not have the proper certification to be working as tour guides in Phuket

PHUKET: Seven Thais working illegally as tour guides catering to Chinese tourists in Phuket were arrested in the wake of a mass protest on Monday demanding the government take action against illegal guides.

The protest on Monday focused on Chinese nationals “stealing” the jobs of Thai tour guides, though those protesting also asked Phuket Vice Governor Somkiet Sangkaosuttirak to raise the cap on the number of professional Thai guides allowed to cater to Chinese tourists in Phuket, which now sits at only 80..

By law, only Thai nationals certified by the Professional Guide Association (PGA) may be employed as tour guides in Thailand.

Of the seven illegal guides picked up by the Phuket Tourist Police yesterday, two were found in possession of ya ice (crystal methamphetamine), said Phuket Tourist Police Inspector Urumporn Koondejsumrit.

“The seven people arrested were Thai. They have all been charged with working as tour guides without being properly certified,” Maj Urumporn said.

“Two of the seven have also been charged with possession of a category one drug,” he added.

Kritsada Mueanhawong

Phuket,Thailand
18:56 local time (GMT +7)

Khaing Soe Linn Khaing

Jun 1, 2013, 12:05:57 AM6/1/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Auspiciousness To All;

I wrote in Myanmar Post Journal "Stealing Jobs Of Myanmar's Licensed Tour Guides" those are Foreigner Tour Leaders
especially Korean,Chinese,Japanese and Thais etc..Next issue that relevant with overseas tour leaders working in Myanmar
will write by English.
Mr.Khaing
Comenseememyanmar

Great using ...

Myo Min Aung

Jun 1, 2013, 8:51:48 AM6/1/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
That is a good new but there are some persons which are not Licensed in mawlamyine at Mon state.They are also stealing jobs of myanmar "s Licensed Tour Guides.Please give me advise how can do this.we need Tourist police in Mon state .Unfortunatly, they will come in July . we hope to join with T P.Last month we attend Workshop of Tourism development at 25 of May,we discussed many things but they can not clean that without lincensed guides of Breeze Guesthouse especial Mr. antoni or U kyi nyut.So all Licensed Tour Guides will  can  understand our probem and hope many suggetion.
Mr,Myo or Ko myo min[G4274],Email;myomi...@gmail.com.Mon State.