Thoughts For The Day~*~Growing Up ^*^*^*^*^ June 6

Transitions Daily

Jun 5, 2015, 11:15:20 PM6/5/15
to Transiti...@googlegroups.com

~
*~
A.AThoughtFor The Day~*~
^*^*^*^*^
(\    ~~  /)
(   \ (
AA)/   )
(_   /
AA\ _)
  /
AA\
^*^*^*^*^
Growing Up

"How many of us would presume to declare,
'Well, I'm sober and I'm happy.
What more can I want, or do?
I'm fine the way I am.'
We know that the price of such
self-satisfaction is an inevitable backslide,
punctuated at some point
by a very rude awakening.
We have to grow or else deteriorate.
For us, the status quo can only be for today,
never for tomorrow.
Change we must;
we cannot stand still."

Bill W., Box 1980: The AA Grapevine, June 1961
As Bill Sees It, p. 25

Thought to Consider....

The program has helped me grow up enough
to be a kid again.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
WISDOM
When Into Self, Discover Our Motives

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Commitment
From "Destinations":

"That first step is very important, whether it is the first step of a beloved child learning to walk or the First Step, taken by a man on his way to a new life. Looking into my little ones' faces, I can see the same qualities that we need for the Twelve Steps of A.A.: daring, to stake everything on the attempt; a sense of direction, to be followed with no swerving, no detour; decision, to move forward with out hesitation or reservation; determination, to make it all the way. Destination: a full life, a free life, a serene life.  Albany, Australia"

1973 AAWS, Inc.; Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg. 93

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*

ALL WE DO IS TRY

Can He now take them all -- every one?

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 76

In doing Step Six it helped me a lot to remember that I am striving for "spiritual progress."  Some of my character defects may be with me for the rest of my life, but most have been toned down or eliminated.  All that Step Six asks of me is to become willing to name my defects, claim them as my own, and be willing to discard the ones I can, just for today.  As I grow in the program, many of my defects become more objectionable to me than previously and, therefore, I need to repeat Step Six so that I can become happier with myself and maintain my serenity.

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.

~*~*~*~*^As BilSees It^*~*~*~*~*

No Personal Power

"At first, the remedy for my personal difficulties seemed so obvious that I
could not imagine any alcoholic turning the proposition down were it properly presented to him. Believing so firmly that Christ can do anything, I had the unconscious conceit to suppose that He would do everything through me--right then and in the manner I chose. After six long months, I had to admit that not a soul had surely laid hold of the Master--not excepting myself.  "This brought me to the good healthy realization that there were plenty of situations left in the world over which I had no personal power--that if I was so ready to admit that to be the case with alcohol, so I must make the same admission with respect to much else. I would have to be still and know that He, not I, was God."

LETTER, 1940

*~*~*~*~*Big Book Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"Remember that we deal with alcohol, cunning, baffling, powerful!
Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all
power that One is God. May you find Him now!"
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, How It Works, Page 58~

*~*~*~*^Twenty Four Hours A Day^*~*~*~*

A.A. Thought for the Day

Drinking is the way we alcoholics express our maladjustments to life. I believe that I was a potential alcoholic from the start. I had an inferiority complex. I didn't make friends easily. There was a wall between me and other people. And I was lonely. I was not well adjusted to life. Did I drink to escape from myself?

Meditation for the Day

According to the varying needs of each person, so does each person think of God. It is not necessary that you think of God as others think of Him, but it is necessary that you think of Him as supplying what you personally need. The weak need God's strength. The strong need God's tenderness. The tempted and fallen need God's saving grace. The righteous need God's pity for sinners. The lonely need God as a friend. The fighters for righteousness need a leader in God. You may think of God in any way you wish. We usually do not turn to God until we need Him.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may think of God as supplying my needs. I pray that I will bring all my problems to Him for help in meeting them.

Hazelden Foundation PO Box 176 Center City, MN 55012