Questions about Trac features

Eddie Konczal

Feb 9, 2021, 2:58:29 PM2/9/21
to Trac Users
I'm investigating alternative to the Redmine content management software and Trac is one of the systems under consideration.

I have the following questions about Trac:

      Does Trac support SAML-based SSO logins (e.g. Shibboleth or CAS)?

      Are there any limits on the number of users?

      Does the software have the following functionality:

      - rich text editor

      - contacts/CRM feature for communicating with clients

      - Checklists within tasks

      - Import from Redmine

Thanks!

Markus Rosjat

Feb 9, 2021, 3:08:56 PM2/9/21
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Hi eddie,

Am Di., 9. Feb. 2021 um 20:58 Uhr schrieb Eddie Konczal <kon...@scarletmail.rutgers.edu>:
I'm investigating alternative to the Redmine content management software and Trac is one of the systems under consideration.

its not a CMS in the way like most other groupware is going about. Its a Ticketsystem aimed on software development so most of the questions below will be a no out of the box.
I guess you got a few plugins that can support stuff but from my experience it wont fit your bill

I have the following questions about Trac:

      Does Trac support SAML-based SSO logins (e.g. Shibboleth or CAS)?

      Are there any limits on the number of users?

      Does the software have the following functionality:

      - rich text editor

      - contacts/CRM feature for communicating with clients

      - Checklists within tasks

      - Import from Redmine

cheers

Markus

Eddie Konczal

Feb 9, 2021, 4:02:25 PM2/9/21
to Trac Users
Markus,

Thanks for the reply.  I misspoke - we are looking for a project management system (not a CMS).  But are you saying it's more of a ticket management system, and not so much used for project management?

Thanks,
Eddie

Markus Rosjat

Feb 9, 2021, 4:09:14 PM2/9/21
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
well it as some basic project managment like feature out of the box. you have milestones which translate to a project but one trac instance is basically designed to serve one project. everything else evolves around this. In my old company we simply use the ticketsystem feature and wiki to keep track of  stuff but at the end of the day if you look at the design of trac its a tool to server one software project.

cheers

Markus

Eddie Konczal

Feb 9, 2021, 4:10:50 PM2/9/21
to Trac Users
Markus,

Thanks - that's really helpful!

-Eddie

Markus Rosjat

Feb 9, 2021, 4:16:12 PM2/9/21
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
no problem, i am sure other can give additional input regarding plugins but i use to spin up an instance of trac for a single project so you end up with a few instances :)

Again trac was designed to serve software developers to keep track of there software project. Its simple but most of the time it does the job, if you need more fanzy stuff you might better off with other solutions.

cheers

Markus

figaro

Feb 16, 2021, 1:23:59 PM2/16/21
to Trac Users

As regards your other questions:

      Does Trac support SAML-based SSO logins (e.g. Shibboleth or CAS)?

You would need to install a plugin for that: https://trac-hacks.org/tags/sso?wiki=on

      Are there any limits on the number of users?

Strictly speaking not. The amount of users is limited by your firmware and/or database. SQLite works fine in most instances, but to reduce the possibility of lock contention with quite sizeable teams you would need either MySQL, MariaDB or PostgreSQL as your backend, all of which are supported out of the box.

      Does the software have the following functionality:

      - rich text editor

We get along fine with the features offered through a standard installation. For more feature rich user interfaces would need to install a plugin: https://trac-hacks.org/tags/WYSIWYG?wiki=on

      - contacts/CRM feature for communicating with clients

This is not a strong point of Trac. An older plugin was developed to interface with a well-known sales system: https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TicketToSalesforcePlugin, but may not have been designed with your required feature set in mind.

There are also plugins to deal with emails (eg https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/MailToTracPlugin), but this is mainly targeted towards team members as opposed to client communication.

      - Checklists within tasks

This is purposefully not a feature, as Trac is designed to impose as few rules as possible about how teams want to operate. It would have to be developed. My personal experience is that existing features offered through a standard install of Trac are likely to supersede your original way of working.

      - Import from Redmine

There is no plugin to support this, but it can be done through an intermediate step involving CSV files: https://trac-hacks.org/tags/import?wiki=on

Ticket imports from foreign systems have an inherent risk of not supporting all fields, but RedMine happens to be a clone of Trac.