Trac Admin Plugins web UI still shows Trac 0.12.7 plugin list after upgrade to 1.0.19

Stefan

Feb 7, 2020, 8:28:40 AM2/7/20
to Trac Users
Hi,

originally I created a ticket for the issue here: https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/13252
The reply suggested I rather ran into an installation issue than a bug in Trac.

The minor glitch I'm experiencing is that after upgrading Trac 0.12.7 to 1.0.19, the plugin list under admin -> plugins (in the web UI) still shows Trac 0.12.7, while I would have expected this to read Trac 1.0.19 after performing the upgrade.
I tried to search through other tickets and mails in this mailing list, but was not able to found a matching topic. Could anybody kindly point me to what I did wrong (or what I missed) when performing the upgrade?

Regards,
Stefan

Ryan Ollos

Feb 7, 2020, 4:36:51 PM2/7/20
to Trac Users
Starting with the simplest possibility, did you restart your web server?

- Ryan

Stefan Hett

Feb 7, 2020, 5:57:05 PM2/7/20
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

Yes, did that multiple times. And Trac itself seems to be running on 1.0.19 correctly (as it's also visible in the version number in the footer). Only the plugin "name"/"text" on the page does seem to state the old version number.

Stefan Hett, Developer/Administrator

EGOSOFT GmbH, Heidestraße 4, 52146 Würselen, Germany
Tel: +49 2405 4239970, http://www.egosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Bernd Lehahn, Handelsregister Aachen HRB 13473

Datenschutzhinweis:
Ihre personenbezogenen Daten, die Sie uns im Rahmen einer
Kontaktaufnahme zur Verfügung stellen, werden bei uns vertraulich
und entsprechend unserer Datenschutzerklärung behandelt:
http://www.egosoft.com/privacy_de.php
Privacy:
Any personal information you provide when contacting us will
be kept confidential and processed according to our privacy
policy: http://www.egosoft.com/privacy_en.php

Ryan Ollos

Feb 9, 2020, 8:22:33 PM2/9/20
to Trac Users
On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 2:57 PM Stefan Hett <ste...@egosoft.com> wrote:
Yes, did that multiple times. And Trac itself seems to be running on 1.0.19 correctly (as it's also visible in the version number in the footer). Only the plugin "name"/"text" on the page does seem to state the old version number.

Probably the egg for 0.12.7 is still present on Python's search path. You may need to locate and delete it.

Are you using pip? You can try repeating "pip uninstall Trac" until it says not installed, then: pip install "trac==1.0.19".

Or, locate Python's site-packages dir and look for traces of the old egg.

- Ryan

Stefan Hett

Feb 10, 2020, 8:23:42 AM2/10/20
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Ryan, that was it I guess.

After manually removing the directory: "Lib/site-package/Trac-0.12.7-py2.7.egg-info" and restarting the webserver, the plugins page shows the proper version now.

Maybe it would be worth adding such a note to the Trac upgrade procedure, as for people not regularly working with egg-packages, it's not an obvious step.

Jun Omae

Feb 10, 2020, 8:40:20 AM2/10/20
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 10:23 PM Stefan Hett <ste...@egosoft.com> wrote:

> On 2/10/2020 2:22 AM, Ryan Ollos wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 2:57 PM Stefan Hett <ste...@egosoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, did that multiple times. And Trac itself seems to be running on 1.0.19 correctly (as it's also visible in the version number in the footer). Only the plugin "name"/"text" on the page does seem to state the old version number.
>

> Probably the egg for 0.12.7 is still present on Python's search path. You may need to locate and delete it.
>
> Are you using pip? You can try repeating "pip uninstall Trac" until it says not installed, then: pip install "trac==1.0.19".
>
> Or, locate Python's site-packages dir and look for traces of the old egg.
>
> - Ryan
>
> Thanks Ryan, that was it I guess.
>
> After manually removing the directory: "Lib/site-package/Trac-0.12.7-py2.7.egg-info" and restarting the webserver, the plugins page shows the proper version now.
>
> Maybe it would be worth adding such a note to the Trac upgrade procedure, as for people not regularly working with egg-packages, it's not an obvious step.

pip and easy_install automatically remove old *.egg-info directory and
install new *.egg-info. That step typically is not needed. I think the
issue is caused by something wrong in your environment.

--
Jun Omae <jun...@gmail.com> (大前 潤)

Stefan Hett

Feb 10, 2020, 9:52:17 AM2/10/20
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Well, I'm running Trac on Windows. For the installation/upgrade I use
provided 64-bit Windows installer. Usually one expects that running the
installer takes care about such steps on Windows; but it doesn't seem to
do that (or is there really something wrong with the environment and the
installer usually does that part?).

Jun Omae

Feb 12, 2020, 1:29:06 AM2/12/20
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 11:52 PM Stefan Hett <ste...@egosoft.com> wrote:

> >> After manually removing the directory: "Lib/site-package/Trac-0.12.7-py2.7.egg-info" and restarting the webserver, the plugins page shows the proper version now.
> >>
> >> Maybe it would be worth adding such a note to the Trac upgrade procedure, as for people not regularly working with egg-packages, it's not an obvious step.
> > pip and easy_install automatically remove old *.egg-info directory and
> > install new *.egg-info. That step typically is not needed. I think the
> > issue is caused by something wrong in your environment.
> >
> Well, I'm running Trac on Windows. For the installation/upgrade I use
> provided 64-bit Windows installer. Usually one expects that running the
> installer takes care about such steps on Windows; but it doesn't seem to
> do that (or is there really something wrong with the environment and the
> installer usually does that part?).
>
> --
> Regards,
> Stefan Hett, Developer/Administrator

The Windows installer built by distutils is not supported to upgrade
Trac module. Installed Trac module should be uninstalled before
invoking the installer.

Stefan Hett

Feb 12, 2020, 5:13:13 AM2/12/20
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense to me. In this case however, it would be good to add some
prominent note to recommend uninstalling the previous Trac version (and
instructions on how to do this), or is such a note already around and I
still missed it?

Anyway, I updated our internal upgrade procedure to note this down now,
so for us it should be no longer an issue.
Thanks for the support/help to trace this down.

Stefan Hett, Developer/Administrator

Jun Omae

Feb 12, 2020, 5:38:58 AM2/12/20
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 7:13 PM Stefan Hett <ste...@egosoft.com> wrote:

> On 2/12/2020 7:28 AM, Jun Omae wrote:
> > The Windows installer built by distutils is not supported to upgrade
> > Trac module. Installed Trac module should be uninstalled before
> > invoking the installer.
> >
> Makes sense to me. In this case however, it would be good to add some
> prominent note to recommend uninstalling the previous Trac version (and
> instructions on how to do this), or is such a note already around and I
> still missed it?

I think you missed nothing. However, I didn't notice the issue because
it is not described you've used Windows installer.

Added notes about Windows installer:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade?action=diff&version=133

Thanks for the report.