Future of TracTicketFieldsLayoutPlugin

Mo

Nov 19, 2019, 8:41:04 AM11/19/19
to Trac Users
Hello everybody,

the Trac-1.4 and Jinja2 migration has so many drawbacks, here is the next:

We have been using TracTicketFieldsLayoutPlugin for arranging a lot of custom fields, creating groups and collapsing some groups by default.
Sorting the fields by <field>.order =  is not that comfortable. Hiding or collapsing single fields is not possible anymore.

I understand the note on the wiki page, that there will be no port to Jinja2 or Javascript. Isn't there any change to get something similar? This is a substantial loss.

Best regards,
Mo

Theodor Norup

Nov 23, 2019, 11:18:10 AM11/23/19
to Trac Users
Maybe https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/KeepInterfaceSimplePlugin can be of help? It seems to work through Javascriot only, so maybe...

BR Theodor

Mo

Nov 27, 2019, 5:36:40 AM11/27/19
to Trac Users
Am Samstag, 23. November 2019 17:18:10 UTC+1 schrieb Theodor Norup:
Maybe https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/KeepInterfaceSimplePlugin can be of help? It seems to work through Javascriot only, so maybe...

Thank you for this hint. I checked all the features and rule syntax. The plugin sounds useful, seems to be a flexible replacement for both TracDynamicFields and TracTicketChainedFieldsPlugin.

However it doesn't replace TracTicketFieldsLayoutPlugin in every way. It does not provide a layout for fields and no option to create field groups while being able to collapse those groups by default in order to hide sophisticated fields from simple users. The only same feature could be to hide fields in general. But with KeepInterfaceSimplePlugin this is only possible fixed or based on a condition while here in the past we provide every user the possibility to expand those collapsed field groups optionally.

Mo

Nov 27, 2019, 8:18:54 AM11/27/19
to Trac Users
Which possibilities offer changing the fields layout?

Using [ticket-custom] and '<name>.order =' it is not possible to place custom fields first and core fields later. It is not possible to change the core fields order at all.
For instance using the TracSimpleMultiProject I like to have the "Project" field on first position as this is restricting the content of later fields like Component and Version.

Then the layout is different for the ticket view and the ticket editor:

reporter     owner
priority     milestone
component     version
severity     keywords
cc     project

editor:
    summary
    reporter
    description
      type                      priority
      milestone                 compontent
      version                   severity
      keywords                  cc
      project                   duedate

Mo

Nov 27, 2019, 8:39:22 AM11/27/19
to Trac Users
Am Mittwoch, 27. November 2019 11:36:40 UTC+1 schrieb Mo:
However it doesn't replace TracTicketFieldsLayoutPlugin in every way. It does not provide a layout for fields and no option to create field groups while being able to collapse those groups by default in order to hide sophisticated fields from simple users. The only same feature could be to hide fields in general. But with KeepInterfaceSimplePlugin this is only possible fixed or based on a condition while here in the past we provide every user the possibility to expand those collapsed field groups optionally.

Ok, there I found GroupTicketFieldsPlugin.

Mo

Dec 2, 2019, 1:24:24 PM12/2/19
to Trac Users

Am Mittwoch, 27. November 2019 14:18:54 UTC+1 schrieb Mo:
Which possibilities offer changing the fields layout?

There is no way to achieve a consistent layout. If the ticket view is as expected, then the editor is wrong and vice versa.
Even if I add an empty dummy field, the number of columns/rows is always different in viewer and editor.
Would it be possible to add some more field types like "placeholder" or "linebreak"?

After TracTicketFieldsLayoutPlugin has gone, there is no way for customizing the field layout anymore.
Also the found GroupTicketFieldsPlugin seems to be broken by https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/13703

Mo

Dec 3, 2019, 4:22:49 AM12/3/19
to Trac Users
Am Montag, 2. Dezember 2019 19:24:24 UTC+1 schrieb Mo:

There is no way to achieve a consistent layout. If the ticket view is as expected, then the editor is wrong and vice versa.
Even if I add an empty dummy field, the number of columns/rows is always different in viewer and editor.
Would it be possible to add some more field types like "placeholder" or "linebreak"?

 After getting GroupTicketFieldsPlugin working I think I can solve lot of the stuff with that.
Creating such a group and adding fields to it I have a linebreak and fixed layout inside the group as expected.

There are just some minor things that I'm going to address as tickets to the GroupTicketFieldsPlugin:
https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/13704
https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/10469
https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/13705

Then what is also not possible currently with the Trac-1.4 core, is placing custom fields in front of core fields. Like the "Project" fields from SimpleMultiProjectPlugin, that cannot be set as first field. This would be important because it filters the list of Versions and Components.

Best regards,
- Mo