[Trac-dev] Trac's License

Maynard Koch

Jul 12, 2022, 8:16:40 PM7/12/22
to Trac Development
Hi all,

for our final presentation there is one more thing we would like to know:

Why is Trac licensed under a modified BSD license and, for example, not
using the GNU GPL?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Maynard

--
Maynard Koch

Freie Universität Berlin
Internet Technologies Group, Institute of Computer Science

https://www.mi.fu-berlin.de/en/inf/groups/ilab/members/koch.html

OpenPGP_0xF9FB23FED9E68B42.asc
OpenPGP_signature

RjOllos

Jul 12, 2022, 8:32:47 PM7/12/22
to Trac Development
On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 5:16:40 PM UTC-7 Maynard Koch wrote:
Hi all,

for our final presentation there is one more thing we would like to know:

Why is Trac licensed under a modified BSD license and, for example, not
using the GNU GPL?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Maynard

This predates my involvement in the project, but it was changed from GPL to 3-Clause BSD. I can't tell you the reasoning for certain, but my feeling from things I've heard over the year is that the founders of the project wanted to create software that could be used freely with few conditions attached.

You might find this discussion interesting:

Ryan

Noah Kantrowitz

Jul 12, 2022, 8:48:31 PM7/12/22
to trac...@googlegroups.com
The Python community as a whole is fairly hostile to GPL and related
licenses. It was easier to go with the flow early on.

--Noah

RjOllos wrote on 7/12/22 5:32 PM:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/trac-dev/a9c49b84-7568-4054-b610-87ef718f79b6n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/trac-dev/a9c49b84-7568-4054-b610-87ef718f79b6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.