Project Monitor generate many temp files

Andreas Grob

Dec 22, 2022, 5:42:20 AM12/22/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hello,

Today I was looking for a file in the Windows temp directory (AppData\Local\Temp\). I found it, but there were also a lot of svnXXX.tmp files.

Since about 16 hours one is written every minute. A handful of older temp files are also still there. In total there are currently 980 such files.

I have installed TortoiseSVN-1.14.99.29503-dev-x64-svn-1.14.dev.msi on Win10.

In the Project Monitor "Monitor intervalls" are set to 30 or 120 minutes. Three projects show an exclamation mark. One has "Access forbidden", for the others I don't know the reason (one of them is https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk).

Daniel Sahlberg

Dec 23, 2022, 3:11:59 AM12/23/22
to TortoiseSVN
torsdag 22 december 2022 kl. 11:42:20 UTC+1 skrev Andreas Grob:
Hello,

Today I was looking for a file in the Windows temp directory (AppData\Local\Temp\). I found it, but there were also a lot of svnXXX.tmp files.

Since about 16 hours one is written every minute. A handful of older temp files are also still there. In total there are currently 980 such files.

It seems I have the same problem. Can you look at the files to see if the contents can give an idea of where they come from? In my case it seems to be a copy of the MonitoringData.ini file (from AppData\Roaming\TortoiseSVN), please confirm if this is the same for you.

I have installed TortoiseSVN-1.14.99.29503-dev-x64-svn-1.14.dev.msi on Win10.

This is on my main laptop and I'm currently running TortoiseSVN 1.14.5, so it doesn't seem to be related to the latest changes.

I'll try to look at it but I'm a bit short on time so I can't make any promises on when, if someone else would like to take a shot, please feel free!

Kind regards
Daniel

Andreas Grob

Dec 23, 2022, 4:03:38 AM12/23/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi Daniel

Yes, I can confirm that the temp files have the same content as MonitoringData.ini.
MonitorData.ini is overwritten every minute. The svnXXX.tmp file remains.
Currently I count 1441 such files. The oldest ones have been deleted (automatically), so now there are files pretty much for 24h.

No hurry. Over Christmas I'll shut down my office PC and take a few days off.
I wish the TSVN team all the best, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. You are great!

Greetings
~ Andreas

Stefan

Dec 23, 2022, 4:17:06 AM12/23/22
to TortoiseSVN
I'll take a look...

Stefan

Dec 23, 2022, 4:47:33 AM12/23/22
to TortoiseSVN
it's fixed now.

Andreas Grob

Dec 23, 2022, 5:56:20 AM12/23/22
to TortoiseSVN on behalf of Stefan
Wow, that was fast! Thank you! Moving instead of copying sounds reasonable. :-)
Will be happy to try the changes, but not until next year.

However, here's what I observed when I right clicked on "Check project now" in the Project Monitor on the TSVN project. Another exclamation mark appeared. I suspect the changes related to the "Project Monitor: Changing the URL does not always work" thread have side effects.

I have installed TortoiseSVN-1.14.99.29503-dev-x64-svn-1.14.dev.msi on Win10 .

The differences between old and new MonitorData.ini file (thanks to the temp files ;-)) are:
authFailed=0 -> 1
lastChecked=1671785722 -> 1671789598
lastCheckedRobots=1671749482 -> 1671749482
lastHead=29508 -> 29514

Am Fr., 23. Dez. 2022 um 10:47 Uhr schrieb Stefan via TortoiseSVN <torto...@googlegroups.com>:
it's fixed now.

Stefan

Dec 24, 2022, 2:48:39 AM12/24/22
to TortoiseSVN

The differences between old and new MonitorData.ini file (thanks to the temp files ;-)) are:
authFailed=0 -> 1

I don't think this has anything to do with the "Check project now" feature. The exclamation mark you get is from an authentication failure.
What error message do you see when you click on the project that shows the failure?

Andreas Grob

Dec 24, 2022, 4:09:58 AM12/24/22
to TortoiseSVN on behalf of Stefan
Oh no. I guess I didn't make that clear. I don't think it's because of the new feature either.

I currently have 4 exclamation marks displayed. One because I don't have access. This one disappears when I select it and comes back after a Check project.

The other 3 have new commits (TSVN since yesterday) and show also an exclamation mark. But on the right I see the commit history and no error.

I meant that the last changes (around the exclamation mark) created a side effect.

Daniel Sahlberg

Dec 28, 2022, 2:39:15 PM12/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi Andreas,

Would you care to check the latest nightly build? There was an inconsistency on how the exclamation mark overlay was added.

As for any projects with authentication errors, this does NOT clear itself, for reasons mentioned by Stefan in another message: retrying when there are authentication errors might lead to locked accounts. You need to manually clear the error.

I think I have also seen cases where a project had an exclamation mark while still showing a commit history. I believe, although I haven't been able to reproduce it, that the history can be fetched from the log cache (if any) while there is still a an error flag on the project.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Andreas Grob

Dec 28, 2022, 3:50:26 PM12/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi Daniel

I will gladly test the nightly. But not before the 3rd of January.

Kind regards
~ Andreas

Andreas Grob

Jan 3, 2023, 4:36:06 AM1/3/23
to TortoiseSVN
Hi Daniel

First of all a happy new year 2023!

I tried the version TortoiseSVN-1.14.99.29516-dev-x64-svn-1.14.dev.msi today. After 'Clear errors' my four exclamation marks disappeared. After 'Check Now' only the one I don't have access to came back. After a commit, no more exclamation marks appeared.
It seems to me that the problems I reported have finally been resolved. Thank you very much.

Greetings
~ Andreas

Daniel Sahlberg

Jan 3, 2023, 5:03:18 AM1/3/23
to TortoiseSVN
Excellent, thanks for testing and confirming!

/Daniel