Tree Conflict resolver displayed upon text conflict (TSVN 1.10)

Stefan Hett

Apr 16, 2018, 6:21:00 AM4/16/18
to torto...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

when merging a revision which produces a text conflict, TSVN actually brings up the following dialog:

The title states: "Edit Tree Conflicts". Is this just an issue with the title being misnamed or does this conflict trigger the "wrong" resolution dialog for me?

Also from a plain user's point of view, I'll have a very hard time teaching our devs what these terms (i.e. "base") mean. Also the current order/presentation of these option will make it utterly hard to find the correct one.

Postpone, Accept incoming, Reject incoming, and Edit will be the options which IMO will be the most common ones to resolve text conflicts. Accept base, Accept incoming for conflicts, and Reject conflicts will be the least ones (I doubt that without a presentation of which lines exactly conflict anybody would ever chose the "Accept incoming for conflicts" option and without knowing what the base contents is, the "Accept base" option is close to unusable either for the majority of the users --- I stand corrected of course, since this is just my own opinion without any empirical numbers supporting my point :) ).

Last but not least the description for "Edit" doesn't seem correct in my case either --- it says: "change merged property value in editor" --- it's an incoming text conflict I'm looking at here, so I take it this should state: "manually resolve conflicts" or "open merge tool" or something like this, no?

Stefan Hett, Developer/Administrator

David Balažic

Apr 17, 2018, 5:01:22 AM4/17/18
to TortoiseSVN
Is this a replacement for the old dialog, where the buttons were in a 3x3 matrix?
That wad much better overview than this "let's put everything into a list".

Regards,
David

Stefan

Apr 17, 2018, 4:04:51 PM4/17/18
to TortoiseSVN

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 12:21:00 PM UTC+2, Stefan_Ego wrote:

The title states: "Edit Tree Conflicts". Is this just an issue with the title being misnamed or does this conflict trigger the "wrong" resolution dialog for me?

Yep, the title is wrong - copy/paste error in code. Will fix that soon.

As for the other buttons and texts on those:
Those texts are provided by the svn library. You get the same texts and hints in the command line client. So we can not change those.

Stefan

Stefan

Apr 17, 2018, 4:46:42 PM4/17/18
to torto...@googlegroups.com
When we discussed the SVN API interface change it was argued that clients can still filter out which options they provide and how they present them. The same goes for the texts. The ones provided by the API were argued to be seen as a fallback means and a complete list of all possible options. I'm quite sure that the "accept base" option for text conflicts was available to clients already with the 1.9 SVN API, though this option was never presented to the user in the TSVN client (and IMO that was done for good reasons). The options to take the complete incoming/local file version I think are new and I argued for providing these, since I thought in light of TSVN these would be quite useful especially given that the old "use local/incoming where conflicting" options were of very limited use in TSVN due to the lack of a presentation where the content actually conflicted.
That said: Nothing should prevent TSVN from deciding itself which options to present to the user and what exact phrasing/descriptions to use. The provided texts should merely be seen as a default/fallback option (especially if there are user provided/new resolution options available, which TSVN doesn't know about just yet).

I'll make a note regarding the description for the edit command. If that's the one provided by the SVN API atm, it certainly doesn't seem accurate. For the other descriptions/names I find it hard to argue against the default names, since different client have different requirements and these are technically the right terms/nomenclature to use from SVN point's of view I fear... Unfortunately it's impossible to provide options/descriptions form a SVN design point of view which would be suitable for all clients/purposes, IMO.

Regards,
Stefan

Stefan

Apr 17, 2018, 5:10:41 PM4/17/18
to TortoiseSVN on behalf of Luke1410
stsp pointed out that the edit description is not part of the list of commands provided by the SVN API. Looking at the current TSVN source it's defined in TortoiseProcEng.rc: IDS_EDITCONFLICT_PROP_EDITCMD

Apparently that one is also used in TextConflictEditorDlg.cpp line 188 for editing text conflicts. I take it a new/separate resource for that description should be added and used there instead of reusing the PROP_EDITCMD one, no?

Regards,
Stefan

Stefan

Apr 18, 2018, 1:15:48 PM4/18/18