Why Revision count increases with every Export?

Alexander Dobrynin

Jan 11, 2023, 8:33:59 PM1/11/23
to TortoiseSVN
I tried several times on the same day to Export the same directory from the repository Tags branchExport Tags 2022-Sep-patch7.png
As is well known, contents of the Tags branch are not under development, and do not change. So, it seemed strange to me when in Export finished dialog I see each time a new revision number:Export finished at revision 63043 без роутера.pngExport finished at revision 63051 с роутером.png
It all happened on Dec 30 2022. Yesterday Jan 11 2023 I tried again, and got a still greater revision number:Export finished at revision 63184.png
My guess is that this is simply the latest revision number in the whole repository at the time of Export:
Latest revision 63194.png
But why is that big number reported in the Export of directory Tags/2022-Sep-patch7, which has a revision number of 62941:
2022-Sep-patch7 revision 62941.png

Oskar Berggren

Jan 12, 2023, 3:01:30 AM1/12/23
to TortoiseSVN
Because the revision number applies to the repository as a whole.

Alexander Dobrynin

Jan 12, 2023, 3:14:34 AM1/12/23
to TortoiseSVN
Thank you. But why are you saying that revision number applies to the repository as a whole? As we can see at one of the screens, each folder and each file have their own revision number

Daniel Sahlberg

Jan 12, 2023, 3:15:56 AM1/12/23
to TortoiseSVN
That is the revision where that particular file last changed.

Alexander Dobrynin

Jan 12, 2023, 4:58:52 AM1/12/23
to TortoiseSVN
Thank you very much. Now it makes more sense to me. On the whole, it may be concluded that revision number in the Export finished dialog just does not carry much information. I shouldn't have been paying so much attention to it