Setting up externals , indivudual files

Jonas S

Sep 14, 2022, 6:35:15 AM9/14/22
to TortoiseSVN
Im trying to create externals ,

1. I create a new folder in SVN called "common" where I want my external files to be located in.

2. I check out that folder
3. right click on folder->TortoiseSVN->properties
4. Click New->Externals
5. New-> Under URL: I write the url of the file i want. eg. modules/Project1/file1.txt

But I get an error msg saying
Error parsing Svn:externals property on "...modules/common": "modules/Project1"

What am I doing wrong?

Daniel Sahlberg

Sep 14, 2022, 6:40:50 AM9/14/22
to TortoiseSVN
You should provide a full URL or a "relative" url as described in the Subversion book:

/Daniel

Jonas S

Sep 14, 2022, 6:51:10 AM9/14/22
to TortoiseSVN
Im already providing a full url but I still get that error

Daniel Sahlberg

Sep 14, 2022, 6:54:53 AM9/14/22
to TortoiseSVN
onsdag 14 september 2022 kl. 12:51:10 UTC+2 skrev dr_s...@hotmail.com:
Im already providing a full url but I still get that error

Can you share it? You may mask or obfuscate the hostname of course (svn.example.com is a good candidate) and repo/path. What protocol are you using?

Carsten chaos

Sep 14, 2022, 6:56:18 AM9/14/22
to TortoiseSVN
It must be the url of file/folder in another repository or a file folder in the same repository. It's not possible to link to a file/folder wich is not under version control of svn.
You must define a name (local path) and the source url of the external
image2022-9-2_10-11-36.png

Jonas S

Sep 14, 2022, 7:08:11 AM9/14/22
to TortoiseSVN
that worked but the file I add the external for doesnt show up in my folder (in your img that would be the "external_v3.0" folder). When I check out that folder from svn and try to update I get the following error:

External failed: C:\modules\common
The file external from
 ' svn.example.com/modules/project1/file1.txt'
 cannot overwrite the existing versioned item at
 ' C:\modules\common '

Jonas S

Sep 14, 2022, 7:17:11 AM9/14/22
to TortoiseSVN
Aha, ok now it works. The local path: should only be the file name of the specific file I want to create the external for. I thought it was the path of the folder it would be inside of!
Thanks for the help!