Icons packs for TortoiseOverlays

Francois Botha

Nov 24, 2022, 3:58:39 AM11/24/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi,

I've noticed that the TortoiseOverlays .msi files (e.g. https://svn.osdn.net/svnroot/tortoisesvn/TortoiseOverlays/version-1.1.5/bin/TortoiseOverlays-1.1.5.29440-x64.msi ) contain only the XPStyle icon set. Is there perhaps a .zip file readily available with all icon sets? I'd prefer not to have to find them in the Tortoise client .msi files.

thank
Francois Botha

Bruce C

Nov 24, 2022, 4:55:29 AM11/24/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi,

Have you looked at the source code? There are lots of icon files at http://svn.osdn.net/svnroot/tortoisesvn/trunk/src/Resources.

Hope this helps.

Francois Botha

Nov 25, 2022, 2:47:08 AM11/25/22
to TortoiseSVN on behalf of Bruce C
Hi,

Yes, I saw that, but was hoping to find something even more readily available, as I said, preferably a .zip file hosted somewhere?

Why? Because I use scoop package manager ( scoop.sh ). It already contains tortoisesvn, but not tortoisegit. I'm trying to create a new tortoiseoverlays package so that both tortoisesvn and tortoisegit can use tortoiseoverlays as a dependency. I got it to work, but now I just need to add the rest of the icon packs. I can manually zip and host the icons if I really have to. But then it becomes just one more thing I have to maintain. Hoping for an easier solution. Hope this makes sense. BTW, scoop is great. I much prefer it over chocolatey or winget.

thanks
Francois Botha

Stefan

Nov 25, 2022, 3:42:21 PM11/25/22
to TortoiseSVN
On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 8:47:08 AM UTC+1 igi...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I saw that, but was hoping to find something even more readily available, as I said, preferably a .zip file hosted somewhere?

Why? Because I use scoop package manager ( scoop.sh ). It already contains tortoisesvn, but not tortoisegit. I'm trying to create a new tortoiseoverlays package so that both tortoisesvn and tortoisegit can use tortoiseoverlays as a dependency. I got it to work, but now I just need to add the rest of the icon packs. I can manually zip and host the icons if I really have to. But then it becomes just one more thing I have to maintain. Hoping for an easier solution. Hope this makes sense. BTW, scoop is great. I much prefer it over chocolatey or winget.

both TSVN and TGit use the same TortoiseOverlays package. It won't be installed twice even if you have both TSVN and TGit installed. That's how merge modules work. You should not create your own packages from those. Because it's too easy to make a mistake. The way this works now is that msi takes care of the overlays merge module and makes sure it's only installed once, but it also keeps a dependency count on it. So if you install TGit and then TSVN (or vice versa), the overlays component is installed first with TGit, and then when you install TSVN the reference count is increased for the overlays module. This ensures that if you deinstall one of them, the overlays module stays installed until both TGit and TSVN are uninstalled.

Also, the Overlays module is used by other Tortoise clients as well (e.g. TortoiseHg, and even TortoiseCVS in case someone is still using that).

Francois Botha

Nov 28, 2022, 9:16:00 AM11/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi Stefan,

You might recall we had a similar discussion quite a while back. https://groups.google.com/g/tortoisesvn/c/SEzMVnRPEZo/m/3bCYH1R_CQAJ

I'm only now looking at this again. Whether good or bad, scoop package manager doesn't necessarily execute the .msi file, but rather just extracts the files in the .msi package using LessMSI (some caveats around this, but assume this is true).

tortoisesvn is already included in the scoop repo ( https://github.com/ScoopInstaller/Extras/blob/master/bucket/tortoisesvn.json ), but no other Tortoise client exists and I'm trying to add more, starting with TortoiseGIT. I've already added the package at https://github.com/igitur/scoop-extras/blob/add-tortoisegit/bucket/tortoisegit.json , but because the .msi file is just extracted, the overlay icons *are* in fact duplicated on my machine. I can see them in these directories:

- d:\scoop\apps\tortoisesvn\current\Common\TortoiseOverlays\
- d:\scoop\apps\tortoisegit\current\Common\TortoiseOverlays\

At any given moment, I can't be sure which of these versions are actually registered in the registry. I'm trying to improve this by creating an explicit tortoiseoverlays package on which other Tortoise clients will depend. This is the way of scoop package manager. I know you don't approve, but for us that like scoop, I don't see another way to accommodate multiple Tortoise clients. I accept the risks that you mention. For example, I know that mixing installations via scoop and traditional methods will possibly break some instances.

So, all I'm looking for (if it exists) is a readily available archive of all the icon sets that I can download and extract once the new tortoiseoverlays scoop package is installed. There are many workarounds, including cloning the entire git mirror and copying only the icons, but that is using a nuclear warhead to hit in a nail.

Please help me out or tell me if such an archive isn't available.

thanks
Francois

Stefan

Nov 28, 2022, 11:37:39 AM11/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
On Monday, November 28, 2022 at 3:16:00 PM UTC+1 igi...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Stefan,

You might recall we had a similar discussion quite a while back. https://groups.google.com/g/tortoisesvn/c/SEzMVnRPEZo/m/3bCYH1R_CQAJ

And as you can read in the old thread, I told you back then that this is a bad idea.

I'm only now looking at this again. Whether good or bad, scoop package manager doesn't necessarily execute the .msi file, but rather just extracts the files in the .msi package using LessMSI (some caveats around this, but assume this is true).

I will not comment on this, because what I would have to write about this is not suitable for this forum.

tortoisesvn is already included in the scoop repo ( https://github.com/ScoopInstaller/Extras/blob/master/bucket/tortoisesvn.json ), but no other Tortoise client exists and I'm trying to add more, starting with TortoiseGIT. I've already added the package at https://github.com/igitur/scoop-extras/blob/add-tortoisegit/bucket/tortoisegit.json , but because the .msi file is just extracted, the overlay icons *are* in fact duplicated on my machine. I can see them in these directories:

just a quick look at the TSVN json and I'm already shocked. The version check uses the download.html  page and a regex???

- d:\scoop\apps\tortoisesvn\current\Common\TortoiseOverlays\
- d:\scoop\apps\tortoisegit\current\Common\TortoiseOverlays\

and that's scoops problem: the overlays would be installed in commonAppdata folder, the same for both Tortoise clients. There would not be a second folder.

[...]

No, such an archive is not available.
But you could create your own zip of all the icons - they haven't changed in years...

Francois Botha

Nov 29, 2022, 5:45:42 AM11/29/22
to TortoiseSVN
just a quick look at the TSVN json and I'm already shocked. The version check uses the download.html  page and a regex???

I'm not the creator of the tortoisesvn scoop package, but thanks, that's a good suggestion. I will log a PR for that.

No, such an archive is not available.
But you could create your own zip of all the icons - they haven't changed in years...

Thanks, I'll go with that approach.