Does not show icon overlay in arm-based windows operating system.

Hyuntae Na

May 15, 2022, 6:32:40 AM5/15/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi,

I am using surface pro x, an Arm-based windows 10 operating system.

I installed "TortoiseSVN 1.14.3, Build 29387 - 32 Bit" in my computer (updated now to do double-check), and the explorer does not show icon overlay at all.

I could do commit, add, and other operations without the icon overlay, but it is very inconvenient about checking what files are modified and what files are controlled by svn (or not).

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
-- Hyuntae

Stefan

May 16, 2022, 3:43:04 PM5/16/22
to TortoiseSVN
to get the overlays you would need an ARM build of TSVN.
And currently there's no ARM build of TSVN available.

Hyuntae Na

Jun 6, 2022, 8:04:51 AM6/6/22
to TortoiseSVN
Is there any plan to support ARM version? I guess this would help increase TSVN users.

Daniel Sahlberg

Jun 6, 2022, 1:35:58 PM6/6/22
to TortoiseSVN
måndag 6 juni 2022 kl. 14:04:51 UTC+2 skrev ht...@hotmail.com:
Is there any plan to support ARM version? I guess this would help increase TSVN users.

I can see no reason why TSVN shouldn't try to provide a native ARM build, except possibly developer resources. Personally, I don't have any ARM/Windows hardware so I'm not able to help but this would be a great opportunity for someone running on the ARM platform to get involved in the project.

/Daniel

Stefan

Jun 7, 2022, 11:40:54 AM6/7/22
to TortoiseSVN
I also don't have an ARM based windows device. So without me being able to test it, I can't really get an ARM build started...

Ernestas Jaraminas

Aug 26, 2022, 10:00:33 AM8/26/22
to TortoiseSVN
Does TortoiseSVN needs to be rebuilt from scratch for Arm based Windows just to show icon overlays? Everything else works fine, except not showing icons, I wonder if this could be fixed in current version x64 version?
I'm running Windows 11 arm on Apple M1 MacBook and not having icon overlays is a real bummer :(

Daniel Sahlberg

Aug 28, 2022, 8:24:10 AM8/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
fredag 26 augusti 2022 kl. 16:00:33 UTC+2 skrev Ernestas Jaraminas:
Does TortoiseSVN needs to be rebuilt from scratch for Arm based Windows just to show icon overlays? Everything else works fine, except not showing icons, I wonder if this could be fixed in current version x64 version?

I think that no-one can really answer that question at the moment. From all reports it seems that it doesn't work. But currently no developer with access to an ARM based machine  has stepped forward to figure it out.

I'm running Windows 11 arm on Apple M1 MacBook and not having icon overlays is a real bummer :(

This would be an excellent opportunity to get involved in the project and make a difference!

Kind regards,
Daniel

Stefan

Aug 29, 2022, 11:47:54 AM8/29/22
to TortoiseSVN
Ok, I built an ARM64 version of TSVN. But since I don't have an ARM based computer/OS I have no idea whether this even works.
Can someone here give it a try and report back?

Pavel Lyalyakin

Aug 29, 2022, 1:56:40 PM8/29/22
to TortoiseSVN on behalf of Stefan
I believe this build does not work. An error occurs during installation:
[[[
AddPackageByUrlAsync failed (Errorcode:
-2147024894):
error 0x80070002: Opening the package from location
package.msix failed.
]]]

Installer log attached.

Then the installation completes and some files are present in "C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\". TortoiseSVN shortcuts were added to Start menu. But nothing works - no context menu, no icons.
  • Opening Repo Browser via a shortcut fails with the following error message:
[[[
The code execution cannot proceed because libsvn_tsvn.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
]]]
  • I don't see libsvn_tsvn.dll in C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\.
  • When I run `svn --version -v`, the output is blank (nothing) and I don't get any error messages.
I tested this build on qemu-based Windows 11 for ARM VM on MacOS M1 and on a clean ARM-based VM in MS Azure. The behavior is the same.

Thank you!

With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin
VisualSVN Team
tsvn-arm-installer.log

Stefan

Aug 29, 2022, 2:54:15 PM8/29/22
to TortoiseSVN
Thanks for testing!

I've created another installer which fixes the missing file. Can you test this one as well please?

Pavel Lyalyakin

Aug 29, 2022, 3:27:47 PM8/29/22
to TortoiseSVN on behalf of Stefan
This build seems to be working fine on Windows 11 ARM. It installs without any errors, checkout of the TortoiseSVN repository works, context menu works, status icons are in place.

This is great! Thank you.

Daniel Sahlberg

Aug 29, 2022, 3:29:28 PM8/29/22
to TortoiseSVN
måndag 29 augusti 2022 kl. 21:27:47 UTC+2 skrev Pavel Lyalyakin:
This build seems to be working fine on Windows 11 ARM. It installs without any errors, checkout of the TortoiseSVN repository works, context menu works, status icons are in place.

This is great! Thank you.

Just following from the side line but I'd like to congratulate Stefan for the impressive work doing this effectively blindfolded!

Three cheers!

Stefan

Aug 29, 2022, 3:32:35 PM8/29/22
to TortoiseSVN
Thanks for testing again!

Glad it works now, so with the next release I will also release an ARM64 version.

Stefan

Hyuntae Na

Sep 1, 2022, 5:01:11 PM9/1/22
to TortoiseSVN
That is great news. Thank you very much!

Hank Szeto

Sep 18, 2022, 11:29:13 AM9/18/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi Stefan,

Fantastic to hear that you have Tortoise SVN working for Windows 11 ARM. Just wondering when you will release the ARM64 version and where will it be posted?

Will it be on the TortiseSVN download page? https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

Many thanks for your hard work.

Kind regards,

Hank.

Stefan

Sep 19, 2022, 12:31:02 PM9/19/22
to TortoiseSVN
On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 5:29:13 PM UTC+2 Hank Szeto wrote:
Hi Stefan,

Fantastic to hear that you have Tortoise SVN working for Windows 11 ARM. Just wondering when you will release the ARM64 version and where will it be posted?

I'm not sure when I can get the time to make a new release. So sorry, can't give you a date for this.

Will it be on the TortiseSVN download page? https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

yes, it will be available from the download page.