config file propagation

ku...@physik.rwth-aachen.de

Jan 31, 2018, 5:07:45 AM1/31/18
to TortoiseSVN
I'm using Tortoise 1.9.7 64bit under Windows 7 and I'm trying to make Tortoise (SVN) learn to ignore certain files and file extensions. Thus I edited in Settings on the client the Subversion config file and added a line:

global-ignores = *.cpd *.pss *.hhp *.trl ehlpdhtm.js *.chm

But a file project.pss still has the red exclamation mark assigned to it.
It seems that I first had to delete it in TSVN.

Is the config file propagated to the server and does Tortoise "know" about this change such that other users know of the behaviour on their checked out working copy?

--
Christoph

Stefan

Jan 31, 2018, 2:35:39 PM1/31/18
to TortoiseSVN
The config files are described here:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.advanced.confarea.html
Those settings are only local and don't go to the server.

But since you get the overlay on that file, that means it's already under version control. And that means the file can not be ignored through any config or property anymore.
You have to delete the file from version control, after that it can be ignored.

Christoph Kukulies

Feb 2, 2018, 5:45:21 AM2/2/18
to TortoiseSVN
Thanks. So this means I have to edit the config file at every client ?

Isn't there a way to do it server wise?

--
Christoph

Stefan

Feb 2, 2018, 10:17:00 AM2/2/18
to TortoiseSVN

No, first you have to delete the file from version control. And then you can edit the config file at every client.

Isn't there a way to do it server wise?

Depending on which setting in the config file, yes. In your case you want to ignore files, so just use the svn:ignored property on the root folder of your repository or working copy, then commit the change in properties and every client will get those after an update.

Stefan