Alternative to PayPal

Sugar Sugarplum (Helena Handbasket)

Oct 28, 2022, 3:26:19 PM10/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
I'd like to register and/or donate, but I closed my PayPal account so they can't STEAL from me if I ever randomly engage in WRONGTHINK.

What other avenues are available to donate to the project?

Tony Rietwyk

Oct 29, 2022, 9:53:16 PM10/29/22
to TortoiseSVN
The blurb for the one-off donation specifically says that you do NOT need a PayPal account to make a donation.  Why do you think that you need to have one?

David Balažic

Oct 31, 2022, 10:27:00 AM10/31/22
to TortoiseSVN
It has happened to me several times in the past that a paypal payment required an existing registration or insisted on creating a new account at the same time as paying.

I tried the TSVN donation button and it is similar again: the page asks for the credit card details but also for data for creating a new account: email, password (twice) and the check for "by creating an account I agree to terms and conditions...".

Maybe one can enter fake data, I did not go thru. But it certainly looks like it requires an existing or a new account. It may not link the card to the account, but is enough to "scare away" some people.

In other words: "normal" paymeent with a credit/debit card only requires the card data, while PayPal requires a lot more.

Regards,
David

Daniel Sahlberg

Oct 31, 2022, 10:56:00 AM10/31/22
to TortoiseSVN
I've made a few tests.

PayPal requires an e-mail address "to send a receipt". I tried with "non...@example.com" and I got an error when finalizing the payment, it looked to be my card issuer checking the e-mail address and denying the purchase. When I entered my e-mail address, I was able to proceed both by logging in and "as guest" (selecting not to create an account).

Kind regards,
Daniel

David Balažic

Oct 31, 2022, 1:12:16 PM10/31/22
to TortoiseSVN
I looked again, and it seems the default US page does not require
creating an account, but if I switch the Region menu to "Slovenia",
the "create account" form is appended at the bottom and is mandatory.
If I click "Confirm and pay", entry fields of that part of the form
are marked with red and the text "this is mandatory".

Looks like a maze of rules...

Regards,
David