failed source control connection through Flare (after computer changeover)

Scott Penney

Nov 9, 2022, 1:12:39 PM11/9/22
to TortoiseSVN
Note: This query concerns the use of Madcap Flare with SVN.

Recently I had to change computers (from Windows 7 to 10). I'm using up to date SVN (1.14.5) and Madcap Flare 2022.

After I checked in the repository to the new machine's local drive, I had no connection to source control in Madcap Flare, with the exception of one project. For some reason, this project is fully connected and bound, which means that you can edit files in Flare and commit them to source control without committing them outside of Flare through the svn context menu of Explorer.  Also, you can generate a Help file without unbinding the project.

However, the other projects are bound to Flare, but they are not connected to the network (in the lower right corner, the status always reads Disconnected). I've tried reconnecting several times.

Madcap/Flare tell me they cannot advise me on Subversion-related issues.

Would the url be the problem? In Flare the url that appears (on the Flare settings panel for source control) for all disconnected projects is \\[5 characters]\Software\Documentation\Repository).
The fully operational project indicates another url (Z:\Software\Documentation\Repository).

I've tried different urls following the advice of IT, but the results don't change. All projects except one are disconnected from the network

Daniel Sahlberg

Nov 9, 2022, 1:32:57 PM11/9/22
to TortoiseSVN
I have no idea what Madcap Flare is (a quick search gave a content authoring software but I'm uncertain how that connect to a Suvbersion client). Can you explain a little bit more to give some context on what you are trying to achieve?

If there is a difference in the URLs between the working project and the non-working projects, that that would be my first thing to check. I assume the [5 characters] is a computer name - does that computer still exist or is it replaced with a new one (and in that case can you replace the computer name with the new name)? Is there a share named "Software" on the new computer? Is Z: a local drive or a mapped network drive? If it is a mapped network drive, where is it mapped? Does it make sense to replace \\[5 characters] with Z:?

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Guru von Magoo

Nov 11, 2022, 3:27:55 PM11/11/22
to TortoiseSVN
Daniel:

I use Flare to produce HTML Help for a number of software programs. (As an authoring tool Flare is akin to RoboHelp.)

On the old machine, things work normally. It's when I change machines that the problem begins.

The five characters (let's say xxxxx) are the beginning of an old and retired url (for the sake of security, I didn't share the names). Z is not a local drive, it's a mapped network drive. Both [xxxxx] and Z are mapped to the same repository (along with another name, but I'll skip this for now).

I'm trying to set up a working copy on the new machine (using SVN Checkout), but this copy is never successfully connected. (In Flare you can bind the project using the source control of choice.)

If I checkout the repository onto a local drive using Z:\Software at the start of the url, and then open a project up in Flare, the old network name ([xxxxx]:\Software] and the path appears in the database settings instead. The network cannot be re-connected, although the projects are bound in Flare.

To make a long story short, I can't download the repository copy onto a new Windows 10 machine. But it works on the old machine.

Maybe that helps? If you have any further questions, please ask.

Thanks

Scott

Daniel Sahlberg

Nov 13, 2022, 7:12:51 AM11/13/22
to TortoiseSVN
fredag 11 november 2022 kl. 21:27:55 UTC+1 skrev Guru von Magoo:
[...]

Do I understand it correctly that Flare insists on using the old url? That is probably out of scope for this group, something Flare should be able to help you change.

Sorry for not being able to give you more help but Flare isn't something I've encountered.

/Daniel