Project Monitor graphic issue in the files pane

Andreas Grob

Jun 1, 2022, 10:39:04 AM6/1/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi

If there are many files displayed in the files panel (right bottom panel) in the Project Monitor, the scroll bar will appear. If you then scroll down, a little bit of the status bar is moved with it.

As example TSVN r29391:

2022-06-01 15_09_37-TortoiseSVN Project Monitor.png

2022-06-01 15_10_17-TortoiseSVN Project Monitor.png

Used versions:
TortoiseSVN 1.14.3, Build 29387 - 64 Bit , 2022/04/08 19:31:22
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1586]

Just noticed:
In the revsions panel (right top panel) there is also a graphics issue. If the Message column is adjusted so that the horizontal scroll bar disappears, the content of the newly visible row is not completely updated.

Kind regards
~ Andreas

Daniel Sahlberg

Jul 10, 2022, 11:47:43 AM7/10/22
to TortoiseSVN
onsdag 1 juni 2022 kl. 16:39:04 UTC+2 skrev Andreas Grob:
Hi

If there are many files displayed in the files panel (right bottom panel) in the Project Monitor, the scroll bar will appear. If you then scroll down, a little bit of the status bar is moved with it.

As example TSVN r29391:

2022-06-01 15_09_37-TortoiseSVN Project Monitor.png

2022-06-01 15_10_17-TortoiseSVN Project Monitor.png

Used versions:
TortoiseSVN 1.14.3, Build 29387 - 64 Bit , 2022/04/08 19:31:22
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1586]

Hi Andreas,

I've spent some time to look at this today and I have the same issue. I've committed a fix as r29430 which decrease the size of the files listview slightly adding some more free space.

You should be able to test the new version by downloading the latest nightly version (https://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/latest/).  Right now the nightly builds seems broken but I hope that can be fixed soon.

Just noticed:
In the revsions panel (right top panel) there is also a graphics issue. If the Message column is adjusted so that the horizontal scroll bar disappears, the content of the newly visible row is not completely updated.

As for this issue, I can reproduce it, but I don't understand the Windows way of redrawing the controls enough to fix the issue. It should be something in LogDlg.cpp to force a redrawal of all columns when the size of the control has decreased enough that the scrollbar disappears, but I can't figure it out.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Stefan

Jul 12, 2022, 6:21:56 AM7/12/22
to TortoiseSVN

Just noticed:
In the revsions panel (right top panel) there is also a graphics issue. If the Message column is adjusted so that the horizontal scroll bar disappears, the content of the newly visible row is not completely updated.

As for this issue, I can reproduce it, but I don't understand the Windows way of redrawing the controls enough to fix the issue. It should be something in LogDlg.cpp to force a redrawal of all columns when the size of the control has decreased enough that the scrollbar disappears, but I can't figure it out.

I can not reproduce this here. Tried with both light and dark mode. The new row is always shown correctly.

Daniel Sahlberg

Jul 13, 2022, 5:32:50 AM7/13/22
to TortoiseSVN
This is what it looks like for me in a well known repository. Reproduced both on my desktop dev machine and on my laptop (both Win11):

Notice the horizontal scroll bar and the message column being too wide:
1.png

I scroll to the right, decrease the width of the Message column. Notice that Revision, Action etc are blank, only the message or r29427 is shown:
2.png

When something happens that triggers the screen redraw function the complete row is shown. The redraw in this case was because I moved the mouse over the last row, but it could also be another window partially covering/uncovering that row.
3.png

NB: If starting with a "narrow" Message column and dragging to make it wider but then decreasing width again without releasing the mouse button, the text will reappear. You'd have to release the mouse button to "set" the width of the Message column and then follow the steps above (scroll to the right, drag to decrease width) to get the behavoir above.

NB2: Oh. I just realised this behaviour only triggers if the line is partially visible. I was able to adjust the height of the revision listview very precisely so the last line is completely visible but the next line is out of view and in this case the problem doesn't occur - or at least it is not visible.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Daniel

Stefan

Jul 13, 2022, 2:28:58 PM7/13/22
to TortoiseSVN
ok, I can reproduce this now.
I tried several approaches to fix this, but none of them work.
Removing the LVS_EX_DOUBLEBUFFER style works though, but that's not what we want (without that style, the list control flickers).

Having now spent 5 hours on this without success, I will leave this as "won'tfix" because such a minor UI glitch isn't worth spending more time.

Andreas Grob

Jul 18, 2022, 4:08:29 AM7/18/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi Daniel

Thank you for solving this issue. I tested with r29431 and it looks good.
The fact that the "Just noticed" stays on "won't fix" is not the end of the world. :-)

Best regards
Andreas

PS: You mentioned me in the comment to r29430, unfortunately with a typo "Gorb" -> "Grob".