Copy change to original files

TC Mauldin

Feb 16, 2018, 12:15:02 PM2/16/18
to TortoiseSVN
I am new to TortoiseSVN, I was following the setup in the test drive section of the help file and have a question.  The description says to import the file from a dir into the repository and then create another dir and check the file out from the repository trunk dir.  So now there are two dir, the one with the original file and one with the checked out files.  You make the changes in checked out file which are not connected to the original dir.  After completing the work in the checked out dir how do the checked out files get transferd back to the dir with the original file. I can't find anything about this in the help file.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edward Prochak

Feb 16, 2018, 5:15:00 PM2/16/18
to TortoiseSVN
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 12:15:02 PM UTC-5, TC Mauldin wrote:
I am new to TortoiseSVN, I was following the setup in the test drive section of the help file and have a question.  The description says to import the file from a dir into the repository and then create another dir and check the file out from the repository trunk dir.  So now there are two dir, the one with the original file and one with the checked out files.  You make the changes in checked out file which are not connected to the original dir.  After completing the work in the checked out dir how do the checked out files get transferd back to the dir with the original file. I can't find anything about this in the help file.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

the example means to show that there is no connection to the original file. What happens on you local
file system is independent of the archive. You can at this point, if you want, delete the original file and
folder. A copy will still exist in that folder on the trunk in the archive.

The checked out folder is now your work area/sandbox. After making any changes you check them back in.

HTH,
  ed

TC Mauldin

Feb 17, 2018, 9:45:24 AM2/17/18
to TortoiseSVN

Thanks for the quick response. Ok but not sure that solves my problem.  The situation is this.  The original files are on a remote web server and these files can't be erased, and the only privilege I have are to copy paste and delete files.  I can't create any directories or a repository on the server.  I have to create the repository on my local computer and then import the files to my computer.  I then check out the files to a dir on my computer to work on them and commit back to the repository. So my problem once the testing is done is there anyway for TortoiseSVN to merge the completed files back to the server. Hope this makes my question a little clearer

Edward Prochak

Feb 19, 2018, 8:35:27 AM2/19/18
to TortoiseSVN
I see, your problem is the deployment step (putting the files back out to the web server).
I do not think subversion has any tool for that. Typically that is done with other scripting tools
like PERL or PowerShell. It should not be hard to write a script to deploy the files.
You really don't want to merge on the server. You replace.

Essentially that is really out of the scope for subversion. Try a script or, if changes are
infrequent, just keep doing it manually.

Ed

TC Mauldin

Feb 22, 2018, 1:26:09 PM2/22/18
to TortoiseSVN
Thanks. That is kinda what I was figuring what I would have to do.