Cannot checkout. An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

Sergio Fernández

Dec 24, 2020, 11:59:06 AM12/24/20
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi,

I have a little problem doing a checkout of a repository.

Y get this error:

 Cannot checkout. An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

svn: Can't write to connection: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

I have the 1.14.0 version of Tortise on Windows 10, I've tried with older version (1.7) and it works properly. Do you know if it is a bug o whatever whit this tortoiseSVN version and if there are any solution?

Best Regards.

Daniel Sahlberg

Dec 24, 2020, 3:04:36 PM12/24/20
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi,

From a cursory glance, based on the error message, this originate deep down in the APR library in code which has not been changed between 1.7 and 1.14.

Just to rule out anything in TortoiseSVN, you could install the SVN command line tools (available in the TortoiseSVN installer) and try checking out from the command line: svn co [url]

To be able to help further it would be helpful to know
* The url you try checkout (if you can share it)
* If not, at least the access method (svn://, http://, https:// etc.)
* If you are able to checkout other repositories (especially with the same access method)

Without any other evidence I would look at firewalls/antivirus programs that might step in the way of things.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Sergio Fernández

Dec 25, 2020, 5:07:42 AM12/25/20
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi Daniel,

If there are no changes between 1.7 and 1.14, I dont understand why 1.7 works and 1.14 no with the same repository :(

The URL is  inside a VPN, but I can tell you that the access method is svn://, and yes, I was able to checkout other repositories before, but Its true that they were with http:// access.

Thank you very much for your help daniel! :)

Best regards.

Sergio Fernández

Dec 25, 2020, 5:09:59 AM12/25/20
to TortoiseSVN-dev
And one more thing, about firewalls/antivirus, the environment dont change between both versiones, I'm using McAfee and Windows 10 as I told you :P

Best Regards.

Daniel Sahlberg

Dec 25, 2020, 5:32:19 AM12/25/20
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi
Have you tried http:// with 1.14? The error seems to occur within the code that handle svn://. Also svn:// and http:// use different ports so it may be that your firewall/VPN is blocking the port used by svn:// but allow http://.
Kind regards
Daniel

Sergio Fernández

Dec 25, 2020, 5:38:49 AM12/25/20
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi Daniel,

Yes, I tried to checkout from http:// URLs with 1.14 and it works fine. I was thinking about the firewall/VPN, but I didnt change anything related with this, just  uninstall 1.14 version and install 1.7 version, and then it works properly :( No changes with VPN or firewall...

Best Regards.