moving repository

Stefan

Mar 9, 2018, 12:42:15 PM3/9/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi,

With the recent problems we had and still have with Sourceforge, I've decided to move our repository to osdn.net.
The TortoiseSVN project is already set up there, and the people at osdn.net are very helpful and are already working on importing my backup of the TSVN repository. But since the repo dump is 14GB in size, that will take a few hours at least.
In the mean time, all of you with commit access please create an account on osdn.net and email me (or post it here) your account name so I can give you commit access there.

The reason I've decided to move away from Sourceforge is not only the repeated outages and other problems, it's also on how SF handles the problems and communicates about it:
  • The status page is a joke: no real info about the problems, but it's still referred to as the go-to page when looking for info about outages: https://sourceforge.net/blog/category/sitestatus/
  • Even the twitter account doesn't provide useful information. The last tweet tells that all is working now again - which is not true since shell access still doesn't work!
  • Getting help from SF staff is impossible - all you get are predefined answers which don't help at all.
  • Shell access still isn't working, and hasn't been for more than three weeks now. That's unacceptable: without that I can't try fixing the corrupted repo, and I can't replace it with my backup either.
  • They mentioned a DOS attack as the reason for the last outage, which I highly doubt is true. Because a DOS attack that lasts more than a week would have been mentioned all over the internet since it would by definition also affect all routers that connect in any way to SF. It seems to me they simply didn't configure the new datacenter setup correctly and couldn't handle the normal traffic they got before.
  • The default answer to all issues opened about shell access not working is "Our development and devops teams are continuing to work together to resolve all issues after a recent datacenter migration as quickly as possible. As of right now, we do not have an official ETA when this will be fixed."
    Which seems to me as if they moved without having set up everything at the new data center and just assumed they could do that after the move.
  • The first thing that worked after the outage was the front page with lots of ads - only three (!!) days later the rest started slowly working again. Which clearly shows where their priorities are.

So, the first step will be to get the repository backup up and running on osdn.net. And give the committers access to it again.

Then once that's working, with the next release we'll move our downloads there as well.

After that I'll mark the project on SF as inactive and redirect to our homepage.

Forum posts/mailing lists are kept here. I don't think we should move those to osdn.net.

Sorry for not consulting with you guys first about the move, but there are not many options available for hosting svn repositories...

Stefan

Stefan

Mar 9, 2018, 1:51:45 PM3/9/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Update:
the repository is up and running: https://osdn.net/projects/tortoisesvn/scm/svn/

Please check out a fresh working copy from https://svn.osdn.net/svnroot/tortoisesvn/trunk

Yue Lin Ho

Mar 11, 2018, 10:54:52 PM3/11/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev

Stefan於 2018年3月10日星期六 UTC+8上午2時51分45秒寫道:
Update:
the repository is up and running: https://osdn.net/projects/tortoisesvn/scm/svn/

Please check out a fresh working copy from https://svn.osdn.net/svnroot/tortoisesvn/trunk

Thanks. I can svn update again.

Just one question:
I didn't checkout a fresh working copy, but relocate + svn update.
Is it okay?

Yue Lin

Stefan

Mar 12, 2018, 6:25:47 AM3/12/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Just one question:
I didn't checkout a fresh working copy, but relocate + svn update.
Is it okay

it depends on where your working copy was before: r28103 on the SF repository is corrupted. If you have updated there to a revision after that you should do a fresh checkout.
If your working copy was at a revision before r28103, you should be fine with a relocate.

Stefan

luebbe.o...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 6:50:18 AM3/12/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Very nice.

Just to be on the safe side I updated my WC to r28100 onf SF, relocated to osdn and updated. Worked fine.

my user name on osdn.net is luebbe :)

Cheers
-Lübbe

luebbe.o...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 6:53:15 AM3/12/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev
PS: will you remove the repository from SF and just put a relocate for the "web site" there?
will the downloads still be hosted on SF or will they move to OSDN too?

Cheers & thanks
Lübbe

luebbe.o...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 6:59:35 AM3/12/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev
PPS: I have updated the URLs on transifex.com to osdn.net

Stefan

Mar 12, 2018, 1:58:19 PM3/12/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 11:50:18 AM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
my user name on osdn.net is luebbe :)

You're now admin there.

Stefan

Stefan

Mar 12, 2018, 2:00:05 PM3/12/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 11:53:15 AM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
PS: will you remove the repository from SF and just put a relocate for the "web site" there?

No, the repo on SF needs to stay a while, because the update check fetches the version.txt from it.
I'll have to make one more commit there once the next version is released.

will the downloads still be hosted on SF or will they move to OSDN too?

I think yes: the next downloads can be put on osdn.net.

Stefan

Stefan

Mar 12, 2018, 2:01:31 PM3/12/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 11:59:35 AM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
PPS: I have updated the URLs on transifex.com to osdn.net

If you could also take a look at
https://svn.osdn.net/svnroot/tortoisesvn/trunk/www/source/translation_instructions.html
those still refer to manually translating the po files.

Stefan

luebbe.o...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 6:34:16 AM3/13/18
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Added a section about transifex.com, but left the old instructions (deprecated)

Cheers
Lübbe