Windows Search stopped indexing folders containing .svn and .git subfolders

Ilya Kuprov

Apr 28, 2023, 4:14:16 AM4/28/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
The above is a major pain! I am very remote from software development, but how difficult would it be to add an option to give those folders different names in local copies when TortoiseSVN is installed? - Ilya

Daniel Sahlberg

Apr 28, 2023, 5:12:59 AM4/28/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
fredag 28 april 2023 kl. 10:14:16 UTC+2 skrev i.ku...@soton.ac.uk:
The above is a major pain! I am very remote from software development, but how difficult would it be to add an option to give those folders different names in local copies when TortoiseSVN is installed? - Ilya

There is an option to ask Subversion to use the directory name "_svn" instead of ".svn", see the SVN Book: https://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn-book.html#svn.basic.in-action.wc

I'm not sure if/how well it works with TortoiseSVN but since it is done in the Subversion library, I assume it should work.

Towards the end of this superuser.com article, there is a suggestion to exclude .git folders making the indexer work again, maybe the same works with .svn folders:

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Pavel Lyalyakin

May 1, 2023, 8:13:41 AM5/1/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hello Ilya,

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 11:14 AM Ilya Kuprov via TortoiseSVN-dev <tortois...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The above is a major pain! I am very remote from software development, but how difficult would it be to add an option to give those folders different names in local copies when TortoiseSVN is installed? - Ilya

It seems that you need to use another tool for searching through your working copies and version-control repositories. AFAIK, Microsoft has intentionally decided to automatically exclude from Windows Search indexing everything that's in version control. So it appears that Windows Search now excludes everything that's in a subtree of a directory with .git, .hg, .svn directories (and perhaps other VCSes). I was unable to find any workaround for this in Windows Search the last time I tried.

Here are two relevant links:

[[[
For our developers, we also made a change where the indexer no longer covers popular source repositories, like Git. This was partly because of the sheer size of these repositories, and also because the tools developers use to interact with their repos usually have their own search tools. We also worked with our Visual Studio partners to exclude their project folders, which resulted in a quick 30% improvement in disk usage, for an even better developer experience.
]]]

[[[
In addition, there are some specific improvements for developers to prevent searches of certain repositories and project folders to improve disk usage.

In this new version, to improve system performance while compiling and syncing large code bases in the default indexed location, Windows 10 is updating the indexing behavior to exclude common developer folders, such as .git, .hg, .svn, .Nuget, and more by default.
]]]

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Pavel Lyalyakin

May 1, 2023, 8:38:47 AM5/1/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 12:13 PM Daniel Sahlberg via TortoiseSVN-dev <tortois...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
fredag 28 april 2023 kl. 10:14:16 UTC+2 skrev i.ku...@soton.ac.uk:
The above is a major pain! I am very remote from software development, but how difficult would it be to add an option to give those folders different names in local copies when TortoiseSVN is installed? - Ilya

There is an option to ask Subversion to use the directory name "_svn" instead of ".svn", see the SVN Book: https://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn-book.html#svn.basic.in-action.wc

I feel that this might work because Microsoft says that Windows Search excludes subtrees whose parent has the .svn or .git directory. So perhaps changing .svn to _svn will make Windows Search index SVN working copies.

But I'm unsure if this is a viable workaround. I haven't heard about SVN client installations using SVN_ASP_DOT_NET_HACK for many years, and I haven't tested this myself.

I'm not sure if/how well it works with TortoiseSVN but since it is done in the Subversion library, I assume it should work.

Towards the end of this superuser.com article, there is a suggestion to exclude .git folders making the indexer work again, maybe the same works with .svn folders:

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Ilya Kuprov

May 1, 2023, 11:56:48 AM5/1/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Thanks! Ah, well - I'll give it a try... pity Microsoft just turned that indexing off, without even a registry setting to re-enable it.

lorenz

May 2, 2023, 11:30:06 AM5/2/23
to tortois...@googlegroups.com
do you mean indexing inside .svn and .git folder?
Or folders containing a .svn od .git folder?
--

Lorenz

Pavel Lyalyakin

May 2, 2023, 11:55:58 AM5/2/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev on behalf of lorenznl
The second case.

At first I was assuming that MS disabled indexing of .svn and .git folders (which would be great since these directories typically don't need to be indexed). But after some testing and reading I discovered they instead disabled indexing of everything that's in a subtree of a directory that has a .git or .svn directory. So Windows Search doesn't index contents of SVN working copies and git repositories.

--

Lorenz