EDG Default Notifications setup

Sanjeev Devireddy

Nov 8, 2019, 1:08:52 AM11/8/19
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi,

    I have configured a working SMTP server details under Server Configuration Parameters (please check the attached screenshot) and also opted for notifications for Data Steward Governance Role by selecting all the check boxes (for testing) under EDG Configuration Parameters (please check the attached screenshot). For a taxonomy, I configured myself (email address) as Data Steward. After that I tried by creating a new workflow, creating & updating a node in the taxonomy and also by clearing the content (Manage -> Clear) but, none of these actions triggered email/notification. I checked the TBL log to see if there are errors but there is nothing. Could you please help me to debug the notifications feature?

Thanks,
Sanjeev

Default_notification_setup.bmp
SMTP_Server_Parameters.bmp
Taxonomy_Governance_Roles.bmp

Taryn Madey

Nov 8, 2019, 7:26:19 AM11/8/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Are you getting any error messages in your log? If the email won't send because of a configuration problem, you would see an error in the log. Also, can you check the manage tab of the taxonomy and go to Configure Notifications. Please make sure the notifications are selected there. The server setting that you changed is only applicable to new collections you have made since enabling the setting. For anything existing, you will need to use the manage tab setting.

Sanjeev Devireddy

Nov 8, 2019, 9:59:21 AM11/8/19
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi,
     As I was trying with an existing taxonomy so I selected the notifications under manage tab but no change. I don't see any error messages in the log file (https://<servername>/edg/tbl/admin/log). I tried creating a brand new taxonomy also but no luck. I did create workflows and clear the content (Manage -> Clear) but, none of those actions triggered email/notification. Is there anything else that I am missing?

Thanks,
Sanjeev

Taryn Madey

Nov 8, 2019, 10:02:04 AM11/8/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Did you set the "Send task emails" option to true?
image.png

Sanjeev Devireddy

Nov 9, 2019, 1:00:01 AM11/9/19
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi,
      Yes, I tried by setting the Send task emails flag to true but still no luck. I did create workflows and clear the content (Manage -> Clear) but, none of those actions triggered email/notification. I tried by restarting application but I don't see any error messages in the log file (https://<servername>/edg/tbl/admin/log).

Thanks,
Sanjeev

Taryn Madey

Nov 9, 2019, 7:42:36 AM11/9/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi. If you have enabled emails and set the notifications on the manage tab and it’s still not working then your SMTP settings are incorrect. I noticed in the image you sent you don’t have everything filled out such as port or user name/password. These are all needed.

On Nov 9, 2019, at 1:00 AM, Sanjeev Devireddy <deviredd...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
      Yes, I tried by setting the Send task emails flag to true but still no luck. I did create workflows and clear the content (Manage -> Clear) but, none of those actions triggered email/notification. I tried by restarting application but I don't see any error messages in the log file (https://<servername>/edg/tbl/admin/log).

<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

Thanks,
Sanjeev

<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

Sanjeev Devireddy

Nov 10, 2019, 4:44:27 AM11/10/19
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi,
    The SMTP server that I am working with is sending emails successfully without asking for port, username/password when I tried with a standalone java program. Having said that do we still need to have them for EDG?

Thanks,
Sanjeev

Holger Knublauch

Nov 10, 2019, 9:53:01 PM11/10/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sanjeev,

neither user name and password nor port are required - they are only used when they have values. I just walked through with a debugger to confirm that it reaches the notification triggering code (sml:SendEmails) after creating a workflow, regardless of whether user name/password/port are set. Even if notifications are switched on but no SMTP server is configured, you'd see an error in the log.

The error needs to be somewhere else. I assume the users that are supposed to be recipients of the notifications all have email addresses configured, e.g. for local testing enter the notification email on the page that you reach when you click on the user name (upper right corner)? The screenshots that you showed look to correctly set the handshake between the data steward role of the taxonomy and the notification setup.

If we are not able to make progress here, it might be better to file a ticket against the support system. There it might also be easier for you to provide more details of your configuration than on a public mailing list.

Holger

Sanjeev Devireddy

Nov 11, 2019, 9:26:26 AM11/11/19
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi Holger,

 I will file a ticket against the support system. Thank you.

Thanks,
Sanjeev