nontyped data

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Jun 4, 2019, 3:52:12 PM6/4/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Strange the values for

hasUnit

hasValue

for ex:ClearOpeningHeight_1

do not have a type indication (^^xsd:string/decimal)

any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thx Michel

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

+31888663107
+31630381220
michel...@tno.nl

Location

basicsemantics.ttl

dprice

Jun 4, 2019, 4:53:04 PM6/4/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
When I open this in Composer it knows the values are string and decimal (i.e. icon next to the property value is correct). So, I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong … it’s working.

Cheers,
David

On 4 Jun 2019, at 20:52, 'Bohms, H.M. (Michel)' via TopBraid Suite Users <topbrai...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Strange the values for
hasUnit
hasValue

for ex:ClearOpeningHeight_1

do not have a type indication (^^xsd:string/decimal)

any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thx Michel

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

<basicsemantics.ttl>

dprice

Jun 4, 2019, 4:57:45 PM6/4/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
See https://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/#abbrev where it says “Turtle has a shorthand syntax for writing integer values, arbitrary precision decimal values, and double precision floating point values.”. That’s what you’re seeing in the file.

Cheers,
David

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Jun 4, 2019, 5:49:53 PM6/4/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

In the ocde I have:

ex:ClearOpeningHeight_1

  rdf:type bs:Property ;

  bs:hasPropertyType ex:ClearOpeningHeight ;

  bs:hasUnit "m" ;

  bs:hasValue 2.40 ;

.

I expected:

ex:ClearOpeningHeight_1

  rdf:type bs:Property ;

  bs:hasPropertyType ex:ClearOpeningHeight ;

  bs:hasUnit "m"^^xsd:string ;

  bs:hasValue “2.40”^^xsd:decimal ;

.

Guess wrong expectation?

Thx again

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

+31888663107
+31630381220
michel...@tno.nl

Location

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Jun 4, 2019, 5:51:41 PM6/4/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Ok, but normally I got the longform if I remember well...

So when is it short, when long?

Maybe a config setting?

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

+31888663107
+31630381220
michel...@tno.nl

Location

See https://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/#abbrev where it says “Turtle has a shorthand syntax for writing integer values, arbitrary precision decimal values, and double precision floating point values.”. That’s what you’re seeing in the file.

dprice

Jun 5, 2019, 4:43:06 AM6/5/19

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:51, 'Bohms, H.M. (Michel)' via TopBraid Suite Users <topbrai...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Ok, but normally I got the longform if I remember well...
So when is it short, when long?
Maybe a config setting?

Not a config option as far as I know. There was a change when we added better support for RDF 1.1 as of release 5.2 and that changed some encodings for string as I recall. That’s the only thing that would have changed the TTL export. My guess is it’s always short if not ambiguous.

Cheers,
David

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Jun 5, 2019, 9:16:55 AM6/5/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

In the file I sent it is mixed now: sometimes with ^^ sometimes without,

Curious....

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

+31888663107
+31630381220
michel...@tno.nl

Location

Andy Seaborne

Jun 5, 2019, 6:04:30 PM6/5/19
to TopBraid Suite Users
RDF 1.1 made "strings" have a datatype of xsd:string.
Writing "abc" or "abc"^^xsd:string is the same RDF term - a literal with lexical form "abc" and datatype xsd:string.
Writing without ^^xsd:string is the preferred way but it makes no difference to RDF meaning.
Same for 2.40 - it is just special syntax for "2.40"^^xsd:decimal.

The Turtle writer outputs short forms from the internal java objects. The Turtle parser does the work of turning these short forms into the internal java objects. No other code sees the short forms.

There are decimals that can not be abbreviated: "1"^^xsd:decimal for example. 1 is the short form for an xsd:integer.  So if the decimal has no decimal point, it can't be abbreviated.

xsd:doubles can be abbreviated if they have an exponent in the lexical form. 1.5e0 but "1.5"^^xsd:double.

N-Triples does not have such abbreviations.

Your data also has:
 ex:clearOpeningHeight "2.40 m"^^cdt:length ;
(the only occurrence of "^^" I found)

That is not an xsd:decimal and there is no short form for cdt:length.

    Andy

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Jun 6, 2019, 2:22:02 AM6/6/19
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Crystal Clear!

I was looking too much for (direct) consistency instead of minimalism 😊.

Thans Andy, Dave!

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
Senior Data Scientist

+31888663107
+31630381220
michel...@tno.nl

Location

RDF 1.1 made "strings" have a datatype of xsd:string.