Providing a SPARQL endpoint API

Steve Ray

Jan 14, 2020, 11:36:21 AM1/14/20
to TopBraid Suite Users
Does the TopBraid/EDG suite offer an API that allows a program to run an arbitrary SPARQL SELECT query? I'd like to offer basically the same capability as the SPARQL endpoint user interface, but via an API.

Also, I think I know the answer to this, but is it possible to access the SPARQL endpoint without a user id, or must I publish shared read-only account credentials if I want the public to be able to run arbitrary SPARQL SELECT queries on the endpoint? I'd like to make functionality available kind of like Virtuoso, but for our own QUDT models.

Steve

Taryn Madey

Jan 14, 2020, 3:09:18 PM1/14/20
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve. Can you send an email to TopQuadrant support instead? This would be a feature of EDG.

Taryn Madey
Development Manager
TopQuadrant Inc.
Raleigh, NC

Tim Smith

Jan 14, 2020, 3:44:33 PM1/14/20
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

I don’t know about the current version but older TBC/TBL versions had some support for a SPARQL endpoint.  I still use it with TBC 5.1.4.  I believe it only supported Select queries which is limiting but it was accessible as a service and thus could be called by a program.  I use it for localized ETL between SQL DBs and graphs.

With TBC running, you can find the service here:  http://localhost:8083/tbl/sparql.  It is also available on the 5.1.4 version of TBL.

Irene Polikoff

Jan 14, 2020, 4:04:15 PM1/14/20
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Yes, as Tim indicated, there is a SPARQL Endpoint. You can read about it here https://doc.topquadrant.com/6.3/developer-guide/#SPARQL_endpoint

By default, only SELECT is enabled. You can enable updates in the server admin console.

Opening a generic SPARQL endpoint to anyone may have some undesirable effects since a query could be arbitrarily complex and consume a lot of resources. May be not that much of an issue with your data?

With respect to the user ID, EDG supports form-based, basic and no authentication. If configured for no authentication, then user id is not needed. Otherwise, user id will be required. You can read more here https://doc.topquadrant.com/6.3/server-installation/.

Steve Ray

Jan 16, 2020, 2:30:21 PM1/16/20
to TopBraid Suite Users
Thanks. The pointers were very helpful, and I now have things running.

Steve