Q: EDG - How to create an instance in a Data Graph

Tim Smith

Apr 27, 2020, 4:50:34 PM4/27/20
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This should be super-simple but it seems some relationship behind the scenes with GraphQL is complicating matters.

I have spent hours and hours importing ontologies that I built in TBC over a number of years into EDG to take advantage of the features of EDG.  This was an excruciatingly slow process, one that I think should have been a "Select list of ontologies, press Import" and it just happens.  I took great care to convert OWL to SHACL so I would have node shapes, etc... to support the EDG interface.

Now I'm trying to create instances.  Based on the documentation and the red warning on the Data Graph settings page, I need to do another step and declare my classes as "Public" so that GraphQL will let me create an instance.

There are no public classes (for GraphQL) declared in any of the imported ontologies.

How do I do that enmasse for all of my classes, in all of my ontology asset collections at once?  I do not see how to set this property.  Little to nothing in these ontologies needs to be abstract.

Thanks,

Tim

Richard Cyganiak

Apr 27, 2020, 5:02:08 PM4/27/20
to topbraid-users list
Hi Tim,

The public classes for GraphQL are set in the EDG ontology editor. Go to the ontology metadata form by clicking the “Home” icon in the title bar. Note the “Metadata” dropdown in the details form. Select “GraphQL Schema” from the dropdown. Now the “public class” field should be shown and editable.

If a superclass is already there, subclasses don't need to be added.

Richard

Tim Smith

Apr 27, 2020, 5:54:08 PM4/27/20
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Thank you for pointing out where the GraphQL Schema lives.  I had not found it.  I sure am glad that the assignment to Public is inherited.  It would have been a lot of work to walk back through all of the classes for my domain.

Tim

Holger Knublauch

Apr 27, 2020, 8:18:41 PM4/27/20
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, this continues to be an unnecessary stumbling block. For now I have attempted to improve the explanation of where to find this setting so that people don't need to dive into the Documentation. The other thing that may help is the proxy ontology import wizard discussed in a parallel email thread right now. As the Data Graphs collection type is becoming increasingly popular we really need to better support its creation.

Holger